Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuzzer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2004
GB
Any idea what this means?

03/23/04 11:54:35 nsrd: server notice: started
03/23/04 11:54:50 nsrmmdbd: WISS error: Unable to mount F:\Program Files\nsr\mm\mmvolume6: bad database header

03/23/04 11:54:50 nsrmmdbd: media db must be scavenged
03/23/04 11:54:53 nsrmmdbd: media db scavenge successful
03/23/04 11:54:54 nsrmmdbd: WARNING: clients file missing from F:\Program Files\nsr\mm\mmvolume6
03/23/04 11:54:55 nsrindexd: Running nsrck to check client file indices

This means that your media database is corrupt and must be scvenged in order to fix it.You can find detailed instructions on how to scavenge your media database in the Legato knowledgebase.

scavange howto:

1.) stop networker services
2.) make a copy of the /nsr/mm or C:\...\nsr\mm directory if something goes wrong.
3.) go into the /nsr/mm/ or C:\...\nsr\mm\ and delete cmprssd & nsrim.prv if got.
4.) go into the /nsr/mm/mmvolume6 or C:\...\nsr\mm\mmvolume6 directory and KEEP FOLLOWING files: "VolHdr, clients.0, ss.0, vol.0" DELETE THE REST!!
5.) go into the /nsr/tmp directory and delete all files
6.) Start Networker Services

That's it 6 Steps to repair you media-database. This is only in Networker 6.x essential. In Version 7.x Networker repairs(scavange's) on his own the media-database if an error occours.

hope this helps

rgd's

Ok I've done that, however, now when I try and label a tape on a storage node, the new label doesn't appear. It still reads <unlabelled> with a 'read open error: unknown error 2 (0x2)'

Help...

Please check closer. It looks like you want to tell us that a label that you just wrote
can not be labeled any longer. This should not happen. If this really exist, i think
you already get a write error.

What i think is that you get this error when NW tests for an existing label just before
the relabel process. This error might have two reasons:
- You label a virgin tape (never used)
- You label a tape that has been written by another drive
with a higher density.
This may happen for example when you overwrite a DLTIV
tape in a DLT400, that has been written by a DLT7000 before.

They are brand new tapes, DLT8000. I need to label them before Legato will use them.

Also now in my main tape library back on the Legato server I'm receiving the following error : 'media warning: \\.\Tape2 moving: fsf 16: unknown error 23 (0x17)'

what do you think is going on?

It means that the positioning of the tape to filemark 16(fsf = file space forward)
has not successfully ended due to whatever problem.
Why? - no idea, especially if the error is unknown.

I doubt that this is a NW problem - NW does not use a specifc driver. So make sure
that OS tools like ntbackup work fine.

If I add a new tape to the drive a backup will work, however, any subsequent backups will not work, error as above. Sounds odd that each SDLT tape can only be used once?

Hi DavinaTreiber,

i doubt that your statement is correct:
- if the translation is that easy (SCSI standard) why would NW list the error as unknown
- on File Space commands, there should hot be any data transfer involved. Consequently,
there should not be any CRC errors.

I personally would try to load another driver ... and again, i would also test another program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back