Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amp124

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
On a windows 98 system, my client received this before the deskstop appear: registry editor cannot import system reg error opening file. May be a disk or file system error. she cannot not run defrag or scandisk.
Please help??

That specific error is not ringing a bell, but it appears to state a registry file is trying to import, and is failing? If I'm on the right track, then the user likely downloaded or installed something just before this happened, and I can give you a temp fix. However, I'd ghost that hard drive before you start, that "Might be a disk or file system" could be a hard disk full, a hard disk going away, or then again maybe nothing.

Boot to safe mode.
Run MSCONFIG, go to the startup tab, look for a .reg file, uncheck it. (the .reg entry could also be in win.ini or system.ini)

It could also be a virus trying to import a .reg file, so once you get it running, update a virus scanner and scrub it.

Matt J.

Hi,
While m/c booting press and hold F8 Hey and select command prompt only..type scanreg/fix and press enter key..ithas to restore your registery files..
and download some registery cleaners from site to clean the registery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back