Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedugdale

Technical User
Mar 2, 2003
US
Hi all, i am new to this site but i am glad i found it, i was woundering if someone out there could write me a step step guide to setting up a small network with 4 computers, one running win2k server and 3 computer on win2k pro and one hub, want to use dhcp, dont want to access the internet, tryed doing it already and got no where with it, so what i need is a guide from start to finish, search the internet and found nothing really helpful.

So please can one of you help me PLEASE!!!!

You're asking alot. One thing I do suggest is setting it up as a worgroup first. Install netbeui as a protocol and work out your connection bugs. Then remove netbeui and used fixed ip addresses and work out your tcp/ip bugs. Then install dhcp and used dynamic ip addressing and work out those bugs. Go step by step and with simple to more complex. It will help you troubleshoot problems.

what r u useing to connect to the hub? cat5? wireless?
Always start out with the physical stuff first when trouble shooting. (wire is connected, green light on NIC etc..) if everything is connected and they cant see each other. make sure that tcp/ip is installed on all machines and assign them a static ip address 192.168.0.X (for now) and see if you can ping the other pc's.
If all else fails go to a book store and pay 20 bux for a book.

cheers peep for the advice, well i have got two pc's at the moment and then building up to 6 pc's, i am connecting through a hub with cat5, i am running win2k server win dhcp installed and AD , DNS, i am not wanting to connect to the internet, i have configured the client to obtian ip auto and dns auto, and inststalled tcp/ip on client, dhcp leases the client an address, but i cannot ping the client and the client cant ping me any ideas, i am using dhcp becuase i want to learn it and have already made the network by assigning static ip's.

Any ideas whats wrong and hope this enough info!!

Since you have already set up the network with static and it worked...then you know its a dhcp problem.
1. Are the clients set to obtain an IP address automatically?
2. Also open up your dhcp manager, make sure you have an ip address pool in there for dhcp clients to pull from. start>admintools>dhcp

yes have setup the client to obtian ip automatically and client recieves an adress from the dhcp and have a scope setup.

Thankyou for your quick response quell

This is for setting up DHCP from scratch (if not previously installed. Hopefully you can figure out where you need to go and what you need to change from here.) I'm basically just copying this out of a book (The Ultimate Windows 2000 System Administrator's Guide, ISBN 0-201-61580-0 $49.95USD, $74.95CAD)

Start --> Administrative Tools --> Configure your server

Select Networking pull-down menu, then select DHCP.
Press the Start Windows COmponents Wizard button. Highlight Network Services option and press Details... button.

When Networking Services details window appears, checkmark the Dynamic Host Co0nfiguration Protocol (DHCP) box and press the OK button and the Next> button.

Start --> Administrative Tools --> DHCP

Right-click the DHCP node and select Manage authorized servers...
Press the Authorize button and enter the DHCP server's DNS name or an IP address.
OK.
Answer Yes to the following dialogs. The DHCP server has been authorized for the domain.

Once the DHCP server has been authorized for the domain, scopes must be created to define IP addresses and lease durations for its clients. The scope will be applied to all clients requesting dynamically assigned IP addresses within its subnet and will also determine several other client properties:
Address range
Address exclusion ranges
Lease duration
DHCP options
Reservations
Classes

Right-click on the DHCP server within the DHCP snap-in and select Scope... the New Scope Wizard appears. Press Next> button to start scope creation.

Enter a name and description for the new scope and press the Next> button.

Enter a contiguous address range for the new scope by entering a Start IP address and an End IP Address.
The subnet mask identifies which bits of the IP address identify the network or subnet address. If the subnet mask bits are contiguous, you may use the Length: field to define how many bits there are from left to right. Press the Next> button.

Add any exclusions, click Next>

The next wizard dialog allows you to configure DHCP options. Although many DHCP options are provided by DHCP server and detailed in the DHCP standards document RFC 2132, five are supported by all Windows and MS-DOS client systems. Selecting the Yes, I want to configure these options now radio button permits configuration of the following options:
Router
DNS Server
DNS Domain Name
WINS Server
NetBIOS Node Type

Follow the next four screens and configure the DHCP options for clients leasing in the new scope.
When you reach the Activate Scope dialog window you may choose to activate the scope and start DHCP service for it. Press the Finish button on the last dialog to complete scope creation.

Hope this helps, don't mind the typo's.

If the clients do reciece an ip then they are talking to the dc.
Did you have the clients join the domain?
Make sure the names of the pc's are in the AD.
Are the correct entries entered in the DNS?
Is the IP address in the range specified in the DHCP scope?
umm maybe try and do a search for the other pc by name and ip address..might work. Really cant think of anything else you can try. You can pick up an w2k admin pocket consultant book for around $30. It comes in handy when everything else fails. let me know how it comes out

Well many thanks to nryan and quell for your help i will now go back to the start and do it all again because i think i have lost myself, but once again many thanks for your quick response

mike dugdale (uk)

ryan did what you said and nothing, same again dhcp release the client an ip, but i cant ping him :0(

Hmmm, sounds like it might be a DNS issue then... wonder if DNS server is set up correctly.
You DO have the server set up to use a static IP right? And it's using the same structure as you set up in DHCP. Did you add your DNS Server and DNS Domain Name in Scope Options in DHCP? If not, then DHCP is not telling the clients where the DNS server is, and this could be your problem. Now, I don't have a 2000 Server in front of me, so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure you also have to specify a default gateway somewhere in the Scope Options, so that the clients know where the next hop is... maybe that's why they can't ping.
Also, check the box on the clients to 'Register this connection's address in DNS'.

Just to make sure it's not a cabling issue, can you ping the clients/server vice versa if you configure the machines with static IP's?

Is the ip address of the server in the same range as the dhcp scope? cant figure out how you can get an ip address from the dchp server put can't ping it unless its on a different ip range.

i can see the client on the dhcp and it release the client an ip, i go to the client and check ip config and it has the ip that the dhcp has released him, i have added the client and added a user to the AD, but when i try and join the client to the domain a message appears saying path not found or domain does not exsist, tryed all sorts to sort this out and went and got the books peeps have suggested to me, i know its hard to help me because you are not sat in front of the machines.

Can someone explain to me what my defualt gateway should be on the server please, i am new at this so please amuse me
cheers

Well the default gateway that you would specify in the Scope Options of DHCP would be the IP of the Server. As for the default gateway in your tcp/ip properties on the server, that would normally be the default gateway provided to you by your ISP, but you're not wanting to connect to the internet, so I'm not sure, I'm pretty much a novice myself. Maybe just the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 or maybe not, that may cause problems so I would wait for further advice on that. If you do want to set it to the default gateway provided to you by your ISP for the other computers to have Internet access, then I believe that you will also need to add the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers as Forwarders in DNS on the 2000 Server.

As far as the Network Path Not Found error message, please let me know if you figure it out. I was helping a friend set up a small test Windows 2000 environment at his home, and at one point there was a 2000 Pro client that logged onto the 2000 Server no problem, then rebooted that machine into XP (dual boot) and tried logging in with XP, and couldn't join the domain (using administrator acct and computer acct was set up etc.) Then, without changing anything the XP client was able to log in, and the 2000 Pro client was getting the Network Path Not Found message... even though the two machines could ping each other no problem. Even though the XP and 2000 Pro client were the same machine, they had two different IP's and 2 separate computer accounts... very strange.

The default gateway cannot be the loopback address. the Default gateway you assign in the dhcp scope should be the servers ip address. This will then get assigned to all the clients. The clients will not have access to the internet.

are you pinging the IP of the server or the Name of the server..

If the name of the server doesn't work, but the IP does, then you can be sure that it is a DNS issue.

How about in reverse... can the server ping the workstation?

no i cant ping with name or ip on client and server, and the client cant even join the domian error saying path not found or domain does not exsit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back