Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usagi

Technical User
Jul 7, 2000
US
just spent hours finding and coding the proper javascript for my site... now i find out it doesn't work!?!?, anybody know a good, free, webspace provider that supports frontpage extentions? besides angelfire and geocities of course... or any alternatives i can do to put the javascript fx into the site in any other form??? perhaps some how w/ flash??? suggestions please....thanks in advance! ^_^

Did you call your Free ISP? For any help? <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

its not an isp...i'm currently using xoom to supply the space for my site which is also free...i have checked faq's of other sites which are free too and they state that they support frontpage extensions...yet when i upload my sites, the javascript does not work.. the coding is correct and i have checked whether it is case sensitive or not and contains illegal characters. now it works on my computer, but not when i upload it.. suggestions?

JavaScript isn't specific to FrontPage, but will work with any browser version that can handle javascript.&nbsp;&nbsp;FrontPage uses DHTML that acts like JavaScript.&nbsp;&nbsp;But I noticed that the FrontPage DHTML isn't exactly compatible with the standard.<br><br>A great source for JavaScipt is <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Hella<br><a href=mailto:webmaster@vision21enterprises.com>webmaster@vision21enterprises.com</a><br><a href= Enterprises</a><br>

I have made a couple of websites in FrontPage and published at Bizland.com which gives about 35 Mb of freee space

It might not be Front Page at all--not all the scripts work well with all the browsers (that incompatability issue).&nbsp;&nbsp;They cautioned this on one of the Java Script sites I've been on--sometimes you can copy and paste the code straight into the your web page--and it still won't work right!&nbsp;&nbsp;Experiment with some different scripts and different browers.<br><br> <p>Linda Adams<br><a href=mailto:Garridon@aol.com>Garridon@aol.com</a><br><a href= Adams Online</a><br>I'm a professional writer, published internationally.

I'm sorry. There seems to be a really big misunderstanding. Here is the problem. I have found some great javascripts. I have put them on my page, using Frontpage. I preview the page in Frontpage, Netscape, and in Internet Explorer. Both versions display the scripts correctly. The code is fine. The scripts are fine. I really believe it has something to do with the server, not supporting Frontpage extensions, but then I used Dreamweaver to find out if that was the case... That wasn't the case. I made a totally new page, from scratch with both programs, trying to use those javascripts, and neither of them worked on the servers I have found. Any suggestions?

FrontPage extensions are not required to run Javascript.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your pages worked fine on your local computer, but not on the servers, you might want to check the HREF to the files that your pages are trying to access.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is possible that your Javascript code is finding the files needed on your local PC, but cannot find them on the server because their location may not be referenced properly.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, instead of using a &quot;relative&quot; reference, you might want to put in the entire web address, http and all.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps. <p>Hella<br><a href=mailto:webmaster@vision21enterprises.com>webmaster@vision21enterprises.com</a><br><a href= Enterprises</a><br>

First of all, I would like to thank everybody for taking their time to post these suggestions. Although, after trying them all, my problem still remains... But I have solved it by the simplest, stupidest way. I finally settled with GeoCities haha. Turns out, that out of all those darn free web servers, this is the only one that supported those javascripts I had... or at least the only one I got it to work on. 15 mb, may not be lots of space, but it is for just html, small class files, and a few graphics. Once again, thanks to all for your replies.

P.S.<br><br>Those of you curious about which javascripts did not work, they are found at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> in the Freejava section. The applets are &quot;Orbiter&quot; and &quot;KzmMultiTv&quot;. If you can get those to work on any other server besides Geocities, particularly XOOM (Unlimited Space), please follow up on how you do... whether you're successfull or not.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;:)

There are many cheap or free flash programs available that produce great effects for web sites. I usually go to zdnet or webattack to look for them.
3D flash animator and Swish are a couple good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back