Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! You do not have permission to access exchange mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VortigernWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Ok,

This is the scenario:

I have to replace a single domain controller in a small customers site. It is an NT PDC running exchange 5.5 and I am going to replace it with a new server running 2003 and exchange 2003.

So I build the server as a backup domain controller, demote the old server to a BDC and promote new server to PDC.

Then I come to upgrade to 2003, cant do it. NT must be enterprise edition and 2003 is standard :(!

So I disconnect the BDC and flatten and build the new server as 2003. Then reconnect and turn on the old server which still thinks its the BDC. The new server is built with the same PDC settings name and domain. The BDC seems to connect ok and is picking up that it is an NT workstation and that the 2003 server is Primary. I quickly create an identical user, check exchange 5.5 and tie her new account into her old exchange post box. Check her mail and all is working ok. :)

So I re-create the other users and tie their new accounts into thier old mailboxes. Then I come to test thier machines and logons.

Now the problem comes.

When they start up outlook they are told that they do not have permission to access exchange. Even the one that was working to begin with now no longer has permission to access the exchange server.

Tried re-adding the old server back to the network, recreating the users profile on the workstation, re-connecting the accounts to the mail box. But all the users are now getting "you do not have permission to access your mailbox".

Does anyone have any help, please. Am stressed out and worried that I have screwed it all to kingdom come.

Thanks in advance

Vortigern

re-create all the users you need and tie their new accounts into thier old mailboxes, just as you did. all you have to do now is restart the information store.

Thanks for the reply.

I am no longer at the site.

But I performed a reboot on the old server and yet still the users where unable to log on. The reboot of the old server would have stopped and started the information store, would it have?

I was wondering if it was because the BDC is not correctly joined to the network. The computers weren't showing up in Active Directory on the new server.

Vortigern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back