Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help xp error in registry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcfd

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2003
GB
can any one help

i just got an message popup which says

Windows - Low on Registry Space

your system has reached the maximum size allowed for the systems part of the registry. Additional storage reguests will be ignored. end of message

this message has come out of the blue the computer was not beening used .

thanks
pcfd

many thanks you are a Star

cheers
PCFD

Yes i am running xp and the message was Windows - Low on Registry Space

thanks
pcfd

In XP the limit to registry size is only hard disk space on the System volume.

I suspect that this is not an XP message, but an application one.

All my problems started after i done a security update for xp and my computer has been behaving vert strange.

pcfd

How long has XP been installed on your machine and was it a clean install or an upgrade from an earlier Windows system?

Perhaps you would like to give some details as to what else your computer is doing that is strange.

Which Security Update are you referring to. You may be able to use Add or Remove to uninstall it, or use System Restore to go back before it was installed.

If your "Low Registry Warning" was a genuine Windows message there ought to be a line in the Event Viewer (System) under "Application Popup". You can use the Filter via the View tab while in the Event Viewer to search.

Strange happenings is a good reason to do the following.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Or this.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

You might need to get a bigger hard drive. How much free hard drive space do you have avaliable?

many thanks linney i will try that right now, but this morning i had another problem another pop up message -> windows registry recovery - one of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy - the recovery was successful.
i must say this is getting very frustrating.i will try Sfc /Scannow right now.

many thanks
pcfd

thanks matthew517 i have about 37 gig left should be plenty i think ?

pcfd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back