Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help wth specifying a delimiter when importing via macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyx

Programmer
Jul 25, 2004
AU
Hi,

I'm trying to import a text file that has been generated by a batch file. The data's columns are separated by dashes '-' in the file. I'm trying to figure out how I can specify the dash as the delimiter in a macro I am making to automate inserting the text from the file into a database but am having a lot of trouble figuring out where or how to do it.

Can anyone give me some idea on what I need to do? thanks!

nick

Hi,

well, i solved my own problem. ;) Just in case anyone else runs into the same problem, here's what I did:

1. First open the text file you want to import. This will open the import wizard.

2. At the bottom of the first dialog box, click the Advanced button.

3. Here you will be able to specify all your settings. Save the specifications, and click ok.

4. Run through the rest of the wizard and when prompted to update the spec sheet, answer yes.

Now when you want to create a macro to use those settings, under the TransferText Action, you will now be able to select the spec sheet you created before under the Specification field in the table below.

Hope that helps someone in future!

nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back