Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Web SErvices

Status
Not open for further replies.

hf28

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to read the data from the 3d party Web Site, using Web Services? To get to that Web Site I'll have to use UserName and Password, which are given to me.

Thanks a lot.

You will be consuming a web service. If you are using Visual Studio.NET, this is as painless as using any other .NET library. In short, you add a web reference by specifying the URL of th web service you want to consume and Visual Studio creates a proxy class, which acts like any other class, exposing the methods you can call in your application.

If the web service requires a username and password, your application will have to supply those when it consumes the service. There are a few ways they could have implemented this - for example using SOAP Headers to send the un/pw.

If you are not using Visual Studio.NET, the process is a little more involved, but still pretty simple. You will use the WSDL command line tool to generate the proxy class.

Hope that's enough to get you started.

Thank you very much, dragonwell,

I'll use Visual Studio. NET, but I never worked with WebServices, only developed applications

Schematically, that's what I'll have to get.

Everything should work without "HTML Interface", under scene + should be schedule for running once each 2 days.

1. Using Web Service, I'll have to get to the USPS Web Site, provide UserName, Password, which will send me to the

2. Other page, where I'll have Zipped files

3. I'll have to Unzip and save those files in the certain folder

4. Using my Stored Procedures (I already wrote) I should update our SQL Server DB with the addresses from the saved files

So, could you please help me to start

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back