Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with VPN Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirre777

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
I need to setup a MUVPN. Just need a couple of employees to access the network remotely with laptops. I'm completely new to the VPN world and I'm not sure where to start. I have a Watchguard X500 and I'm running a couple of Win2k3 Servers on my domain.

Do I need to implement RAS on a server if I'm using the Firebox? I've setup a Remote user on the Firebox and tried to setup a VPN connection on a laptop at home but couldn't get a connection at all (WinXP client). I'm using the static external IP of the Firebox.

Anyone help this VPN noob out?

Thanks

You don't need a RAS server with a firebox.

Then firebox can have its own authenifaction database or use AD.

How far does the user get:

Do they see the safe net adpater when they activate the secuiry policy?

Do they get prompted for a password?

There are maunals on the watchguard website

I have setup the VPN and I'm connected. I can ping inside my network but I can't see anything outside of my pings. I have DNS and WINS set correctly (I can ping by IP and Name). I can't browse the network though or connect using UNC paths. I added a static entry for my file server in the HOSTS file thinking I was still having a DNS issue but still can't connect to that server even though I can ping it's trusted IP and name. I'm currently using the Firebox authentication. From what I've read here and Watchguards site once you're inside the network everything should emulate being behind the Firebox plugged into ethernet, yet the only thing I can do once connected is ping inside.

Ok, so I brought the laptop back onto the network and had the same problem with ethernet. I could go online but nothing on the network would show. I unchecked the Deterministic Network Enhancer under TCP Props and everything is fine now. Why is this blocking me out and if it's necessary for the VPN then why does it block me out even if the laptop is locally on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back