Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Two Active Directory Forests

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushi600

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
Trying to setup two separate forests and establish a one-way transitive trust between them. They are both internal domains, so I am not 100% how to go about it (dunno how to make them see each other without a public DNS). Not too strong on AD, subnetting, etc, so this is a learning experience.
So far, this is what I have done:

1) Two servers, clean installs, nothing on them (no DNS, etc). One is set to IP address 192.168.0.1, the other 192.168.0.2
2) Added DNS and WINS to both machines, prepped them for Active Directory/DCPromo.
3) DCPromo'd both machines to their respective domains (abc.com, xyz.com).
4) Since both domains are internal, I did not know how to setup the DNS to let them "see" each other to establish a trust. I decided to add a WINS entry on abc.com for xyz.com and a WINS entry on xyz.com's server for abc.com.

Obviously, step 4 didn't work ;)

My ultimate goal is to try to setup xyz.com as a multihomed server for firewalling.
Can anyone provide a step-by-step? Thanks.

Bump. ;)

After a complete reformat and reinstall of both machines, I have also tried using a DNS method, where xyz.com has Primary DNS for xyz.com and Secondary for abc.com, abc.com has Primary DNS for abc.com and secondary for xyz.com.

Pinging each other, they resolve just fine. However, Active Directory Domains and Trusts still cannot find the other server.

Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back