Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with summations and total summations

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriebronze

Technical User
Jun 19, 2007
US
I am writing a report that is trying to get a percentage of scrapped parts. In the details I have the amount of scrap, and then I have it summed in the group footer. Then I put the amount made in the group footer and the scrap % comes out fine. The problem is when I sum the amount made the report sums it as if it were in the details section. And I get a larger number than is actually there.

You cannot sum the percentage, you have to take the grand total of the scrap divided by the grand total of the (presumably) non scrap.

Just write a simple formula to do this, you should see the total objects in the formula editor near the bottom with a sigma next to them.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If the phone doesn't ring, it's me".....Jimmy Buffet

That's were the problem is. When I try to sum the non-scrap in the report footer I get an incorrect amount

In the details section I have the non-scrap amount

scrap non-scrap
details- 2 15
5 15

group footer- 7 15

Report footer- 7 30

the 15 that is in the GF is the same information that is in the details. So when I sum the GR I get the sum of the details instead of just a sum of the GR non-scrap

Sorry if my post is kind of jumpy, of vague I am new to Crystal Reports. And thank you for the help.

Are you certain that your Group total for the non-scrap is doing a sum and not a maximum or other summary? Right click on the non-scrap group total and choose Edit summary and check to make sure it is set to sum and not maximum (which is the default choice that shows up at the top of the list when doing summaries).

mrudolph

For the report footer, use a running total for the non-scrap that does a sum of non-scrap, evaluate on change of group, reset never. You can then use the running total in the percentage formula at the report level.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back