Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalystDBA

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
AU
Hi,

I am trying to get the first delivery date for each order in a recordset that will have many orders for each customer and many deliveries for each order. I need to get the Customer details, the order details and show the first delivery date for each order.
The Tables I am working with are
orderhead - Order header info
orderdetail - Order detail info
delivhead - Delivery header info
delivdetail - delivery detail info
customer - Customer info

ordererhead has a 1 to many on oderdetail
delivhead has a 1 to many on delivdetail
There can be many deliveries for each order.
All 4 tables are linked by order_num and the customer table is linked to orderhead by cust_code

Some orders can be cancelled so I don't want these. (this is easy for me to remove)
The deliveries are numbered for each order using the field deliv_num. The easy thing to do would be to get the deliveries with deliv_num = 1 but if the first delivery is cancelled then this does not work so I have to go on the earliest delivery date (that hasn't been cancelled) for each order. Alternativly use the lowest deliv_num that isn't cancelled.

Any help that I can get would be much appreciated.

I am ok with SQL and SPL. Just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Cheers
AnalystDBA

Hi,

your thoughts about the first deliv_num is okay. Do you have a field which shows cancelled or not ?
If yes you can search for first deliv_no and cancelled <> yes

appi

hi appi,
thanks for the reply.
I have a cancelled field and that can eliminate the cancelled deliveries. If the first delivery is cancelled eg. del_num = 1 and status = cancelled then I have to go to del_num = 2 for the second delivery. Is there a FIRST operator in Informix that will get the first sequencial value in a recordset. If there is then I can select FIRST del_num from delivhead where status <> Cancelled.

I am using Informix version 7.3

Thanks

AnalystDBA

Hi,

Could you select everything that was not cancelled into a temp table first, then SELECT MIN(del_num) from temp table, to get the minimum number from the selected records ?

SteveB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back