Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Software Update Services SUS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chutcheson

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2002
US
I've installed SUS_SP1 on a Web Server and have everything configured correctly. I've installed the newest .adm file on the Domain Contoller where I have also setup the policies at. All the "Test" computers have been put in the OU that has the SUS policy assigned to it. All the PC's are Windows 2000 SP3 PC's.

My question is, I cant figure out why the clients are not looking for the Updates on the server!?!?! They are all seeing the policy, I checked with gpreport. I have the Policy set on a the default schedule 3:00AM, yet no one ever recieves the updates. I've approved updates on the server and everything.

Also, I've set a local policy on the PC and forced it to replicate to the server and it see's the SUS server fine and downloads the patches. AS SOON as I try to use the Group Policy, it just doesn't work. Am I impatient? Should I wait for replication and what not for a few days??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Make sure this is correct

HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\windows\windowsupdate\au
UseWUServer = 1 (reg_dword)
WUServer = (reg_sz)

Are the user an ADMINISTRATOR of the local PC ? I wanted to use SUS but it seemes to me that it will only work if the logged on user are administrator of the local PC so therefore Ive dropped SUS.

please tell me if im wrong!! ?

I did same test as you and it only worked with administrative rights.

It's working now guys, thanks! Turns out it was a probelm with replication between servers, the policies only took affect for a few minutes then they were gone. I have since set the policy to never be overwritten.

larsjuhl, SUS is suppossed to work without the user being an Administrator on the machine. Here is an example:

Example 1: non-administrator user on a workstation
This scenario assumes that the following conditions have been set up by the IT administrator:
IT administrator schedules updates to be installed every day at 3 a.m.
IT administrator requires users of desktops to run as non-administrative users.
IT administrator sets NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers to 1.
• The user is assigned Shut down the system privileges via Group Policy.
Resulting client behavior:
1. Automatic Updates detects and downloads an update and sets the scheduled installation time to 3 AM.
2. The logged on non-administrative user leaves the workstation locked at the end of the day.
3. At 3 AM the scheduled installation proceeds.
4. This update requires a restart to complete the installation, so Automatic Updates pops up a dialog to the users locked session saying that a restart is required.
5. At 9 AM the user unlocks the workstation and sees the prompt to restart.
6. The user is unable to click No to dismiss the dialog, but because she is the only user on the workstation, she can click Yes. There is no timeout, so she can accept the prompt to restart at a time that is convenient for her.

This came from:
Hope this helps..

-Casey

clearly i didnt read enough of the deployment guide... I had it but didnt read it alle before trying.. sorry. Ive found the example in the guide and are now testing, not successfully yet but im sure it will work.

This is very good !!

thax Casey and others.
rgds,
Lars

I'm running this in a test environment and it's working great until i make the client a restricted user (which is how the scenario will look in the normal environment). I've tried & checked everything and the client will not update, but as soon as i log on as admin, it works.

My W2K server is a member server in an NT4 domain. I've used the local group pol on the client PC. when i add the restricted user to the admins group it works and when i add them to restricted, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Regards Steve.
UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back