Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with softphone and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdown

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2006
US
I am able to see the call server from home while connected to my VPN. I can make calls and browse the directory without fail, but I cannot hear anything, no ringing, no voicemail, nothing.

I have a VCM and have this working with a vpn tunnel at 2 seperate locations, but none of which are using the softphone. They use a hardphone SW5610 without fail.

Any idea what is up with it? Or what to look for?

TIA

have you tried the direct media/fast start options on the IP Extension??

I have a feeling one or both need playing with for iPM

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Yeah both of them I have played with to no avail. I get this message as well on the user end: Failed to register with IP Office for VoIP operation! Contact your system administrator.

Enable fast start is checked both on the softphone and IP office for that extension, so is enable faststart. Still nothing though as far as sound goes. I can watch the call status and see the call coming through but I dont hear anything on my end.

I also put a route in for my subnet at home, but still no luck.

Have you got the user you are logging on as set to PC Softphone in Manager??

Have you turned on VOIP in Phone Manager.

Do your microphone/Speakers work on your PC??? Are all the volume settings turned up??? None set to MUTE????

Jamie Green

I can call from the softphone, just not hearing anything. Phone manager type is VOIP and Phone Manager PC softphone is selected as well.

Yeah I can hear sounds on the headset, just not anything regarding the phone. Still getting the same error message as well. Cant seem to figure out what is going on.

Uninstall the QOS packet scheduler?? where do I do that?

I know the sound works on my laptop because I can record from the headset and play it back. But I cant find anywhere online a solution on how to get this to work.

What a pain in the ass.

make sure you have enable fast start and confirm IP checked off in phone manager. Maybe you dont have the correct IP route in the system. What type of device are you connecting thru?

I think that you need the QoS Scheduler enabled.
Also make sure that the MS COM+ System Application service is started. Set the service to automatic. The service is needed for the soft phone to register properly with the IPO.

QOS is enabled, fast start and confirm IP is on as well. When I start the softphone it promtps me with: Select the IP address to use with VOIP and it has my local IP. However after I say ok it comes back with the failed to register with IP office. But I can make call, logon to the call server and see the call going to VM but I cant hear anything.

Not using a va adaptor for the VPN either. And something else I noticed I have no audio controls on the softphone, no where to adjust the volume or USB settings.

Any more ideas?

Did you allow the IP Office to auto create an IP Extension for the softphone? I have had it where the user/extension are created seperatly and I have then struggled getting it to work.

Also whilst VPN check your H323 settings are working as they should be.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

If you enable VOIP in Phone Manager preferences that will enable the volume controls

Jamie Green

Provider, no I did not, I created the extension. I didnt know you could do it any other way. VPN is shoudn't be a problem, althought it may be. We have several VPN tunnels configured for remote locations, all of which use our IP Office at HQ. So unless the tunnel is different than the dial-up VPN then it should be ok.

Jamie, Voip is enabled as well but still no audio controls on my softphone console.

Ok now that I am back in the office I did some more testing not through the VPN. On my desktop if I fire up the softphone and enable VOIP the audio controls appear.

On my laptop if I fire up the softphone and enable VOIP and hit OK I immediately get the error message "Failed to register with IP Office for VoIP operation! Contact your system administrator."

Ron I tried that to connect to it with QOS uninstalled but it didnt change a thing.

Ok just try one thing for me.
Create a new user. At this stage just choose an extension that has not got a physical port assigned to it.

COnfirm the user which at this stage should as if you wish to have a VoIP ext added for this user.
Reboot and give that a try.

Note you must then set your Softphone to be voip.

Not saying this will work but has for me in the past.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

I just did that and the same thing happened with the other extension. Softphone throws the error message as soon as I check "enable VOIP" on the softphone.

So its got to be something to do with my laptop, what I dont know.

Did you enable this user to have softphone in manager and you the required licences?

Yes and yes. It works fine on my desktop using the same extension/settings but on my laptop it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back