Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Simple Sum Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2003
GB
1. I am creating a stores picking list this requires the following user input
1a. Product Code (selected on a form via a combobox)
1b. Assembler Name (selected on a form via a combobox)
1c. Quantity (entered manually)

2. This fills a (temporary) table (contents deleted prior to each new picking list being created) with the following data.
2a. Product, Component, Qty. (there are others but these are the most significant)
2b. This section works fine so far!

3. If more than one product has the same component it obviously enters a row per component per product. I would like to see a total qty with just one component per row.

4. I have tried using the view total option but when I try to change the “Group by” to “Sum” in the Component column I get a “data type mismatch in criteria expression.”
Is there something obvious I am missing?
TIA Cliff

The Sum must be in the quantity column.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks,
I tried the qty column and that didn't work as well!

But...

I have found the problem. The make table query that I used to initially create the temporary table from the existing data had put the qty column data type to Binary?

Everything worked ok except the summing. I just changed the qty in the temp table to "number long integer" and edited the append query to suite and now the sum works fine!
Thanks for you reply
Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back