Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Setting up of VPN in a workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

adisolutions

Technical User
May 17, 2006
GB
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this.

I have set up a small workgroup with a few XP and Win 2000 computers. I have a static IP address.

I would like to create a VPN so some of the users can work remotely every now and then. All the shared files are on a Windows 2000 Pro machine.

Can anyone tell me how should I do this? Do I need to buy a router that supports VPN? etc.

If anyone can give me an advice or point me to a step by step manual that would be great.

Many thanks,

Anguel

Use windows 2000 server and go the Remote access configuration....for ur setup.U will have to create the user names and login on the server...

Although you can probably do this with Windows software, its going to be a big setup and support for all your users, who are probably not technical. You're going to be getting a lot of requests for help. In a business environment, the aggravation and lost productivity is not going to be worth that goal.

I would recommend installing a true VPN router at each location, which will create the tunnell for you. With those routers, the two networks can be seamlessly used as one. The Linksys RV082 is a great new product, I just bought two of them at Dell for $259/ea. There are obviously other choices.

Note you need a router that actually *creates* a VPN, not just one that permits a pass-through. Cheaper routers say VPN on the box or features, but they just permit a VPN created on your PC to go through. They don't create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back