Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with setting up a media server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjj4golf2

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2018
US
I am trying to set up a media server with Apache2 on Ubuntu 18.0.4
I am new to Linux and Apache so please bear with. What I am trying to do is access an .mp4 file or any other files using a URL. I am able to get to the Apache page when I use the internal ip address of the server but I would like to get to the mp4 files located in a folder. How do I get the mp4 from a web browser on a client within the local network.
What I am trying to do is create a Roku channel for internal use only. But I need the url for the program that creates the channel package. We would like to keep this all internal.

Thanks

mjj4golf2

That depends on how your server is set up.

In Ubuntu normally the Apache directory is in something like /var/ That folder might contain an index.html file. This translates to something like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.html as a url
Apache can serve any folders and files in that location. So if you have something like /var/ for instance you should be able to access it as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/media/file.mp4

If your media files are somewhere else, then you would need to configure Apache to serve some other path as a web directory or use a symlink to make say the media folder inside the apache folder redirect to where your media is.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back