Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with scaleing again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeroberts2005

Instructor
May 25, 2005
GB
I am using 2004 version. Is there a way of putting drawings with different scales on the same paper space.

Hi lukeroberts2005,

Of course! Once in paperspace, you can create as many viewports as you need to display your drawings. The command is mview when in paper space.

HTH
Todd

Sorry I'm a bit of a beginer when it comes to auto cad. I have a drawing that I want to put on the same paper space as another but if I cut and paste it. the measurements change. It is the side view of the same object but was to small to view so had to draw it 4:1 so that I could see it. I drew it on a different page and then try to cut and paste but this does not work.

Hi luke,

Ok, since you're a beginner, I'll start from ground zero. First off, always always do all of your drawing in model space, and draw it full size. This goes for sections, details etc. Then switch to paper space, and here's where you'll create your views. You'll use the pagesetup command to create your final plot size, you'll get a dialog just like the plot dialog, and this is where you will establish your paper size. You'll then use the command "mview" to create a "window" in paper space to view your model. Once you have created a viewport (the "window" you created), you'll type "MS" (no quotes and it's not case sensitive), and this will place you in the viewport - through paper space. You then use the zoom command to establish your final scale. For example, you have created a window to display the plan/top view of your model - to get it to fit on a 24x36 size piece of paper, you may scale it say 1/4"=1'-0". To get this scale, you must be in the viewport you created (use the "MS" command) and then type "Z" or "Zoom" (again, no quotes and it's not case sensitive) and then you'll see a list of options. At the command line type "1/48xp" (again, no quotes and it's not case sensitive), this instucts AutoCAD to size the viewport's view to appear as 1/4" in paper space to equal 1'-0" in model space - thus giving your required scale. Now you want to display the section you've drawn. Type "PS" (again, no quotes and it's not case sensitive) to return you to paper space. Use the mview command to create a second smaller viewport, type "MS" at the command prompt, then "Z" then this time at the options prompt, you may type something like "1/12xp" for a plotted scale of 1" = 1'-0".

Now, as for cutting and pasting, don't do that and here's why, Windows only alots so much memory for the clipboard, and if it reaches that limit - which it often will - windows will resize what you have copied to the clipboard to fit - meaning when you copy and paste in AutoCAD, you'll often notice things are just a bit shorter/smaller than the original, and its because windows had to resize it. If you need to do this, just create blocks, and then you can purge them out later if you don't need them.

HTH
Todd

So how do I get mview to draw different parts of my drawing, once in viewport?

Hi Luke,

You don't. All of your artwork will be in model space, and the viewport you create with the mview command allows you to display your drawing/model. So once you create a viewport, get into that viewport and then perform a zoom extents, from there, you can zoom into whatever details you need.

HTH
Todd

thankyou for all your help TCARPENTER I am finaly getting to grips with viewports but I now have one more question. I have created a template and saved it as a template file.
When i try to insert it I pick my template and then a window opens that says( Insert Layout(s) and then layout name (s) below Layout 1 layout 2)the preview is ok but when I press ok, a blank pages is inserted with the name layout3-Layout1. Inserting all the preset temps is ok. please help.

Hi Luke,

I'm not sure I understand the problem, it sounds as though it is doing what its supposed to do.

You mentioned:
...the preview is ok but when I press ok...

were you under the impression this would bring in any artwork as well? If so, I'm afraid the import method simply doesn't work this way, it only brings in your layout settings and it does so as a new layout tab. If you want artwork to brought in, you'll need to use the regular insert command in addition to the import.

HTH
Todd

I am not expecting to bring in art work! I have drawn a boarder template in which I want my drawings and info to fit. Before I was usings the viewports, I just cut and paste after opening up my boarder. But now I have noticed if you go to insert layout and then click from a template another layout is inserted with the template in which I can add my viewports. So I saved my Boarder drawing as a .dwt file. all the preset templates have no problem opening wereas mine just opens a blank layout pages although the preview is fine.

Hi Luke,

Check to be sure you are using a .ctb file with a .ctb file and an .stb file with an .stb file. In other words, check to see your drawing file is using a ctb (or stb) file (in your pagesetup/plot dialog box) and then make sure your template file is also using the same (either ctb or stb). If all of this is correct, then chances are you may have a corrupt drawing template.

Short of that, I'm afraid I don't know.

HTH
Todd

Is there a way of have differnt size dimensions in the different viewports. so that when I zoom in twice the size I can make the dimensions the same as the viewport

Hi Luke,

Just set up different dimension styles for your various scales.

HTH
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back