Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with saving on PSP9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davisrocks

Technical User
Jul 20, 2006
US
When ever I try to save a jpg it always gives me this message...

"Because of the limitations of the specified file format (and possibly the save options you've selected),the saved file will be limited to a merged message. Would you like to continue?"

Then it asks yes or no. if i click yes it saves it but the image does not have the changes i have made. and if i click no it just does nothing. Anyone got any pointers on this?

When you have and image that has layers, other Art artifacts, it is normal to get that message, because the JPEg format does not support layering or art media, or Vectors. So PSP has to flatten everythng into a one layer raster image, with all the information. However I'm curious as to why no changes are applied to the image. What changes are you making to the image before saving it?

Have you tried using the Jpeg Optimizer, instead of the Save as Dialog? Go to File->Export->Jpeg Optimizer, and Save it from there. It 's the recommended method for saving Jpegs as it does a better job thna the standard Save As Jpeg Settings.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I'm erasing the wight background from a picture. the jpeg optimizer didn't work.

You can't erase a background and save it as a .jpg as you can't get transparency using this format - any transparent areas will be converted to white.

Either save it as a .png (use the optimizer and select the alpha channel transparency) or save it as .pspimage which will retain the transparency and layers (if you work with them).

Jpg's don't support transparencies as Jconingham pointed out.

So you either have to change the background to another color, or save it as another format, PNG is good, but IE will not render the transparency correctly any other browser has no problem with it. You can also try GIF which supports transparency but is limited to the ammount of colors it can use to save the image.

Use PSP or PSPimage types only if you don't need to open the image in anything else but Paintshop, not many apps support the PSP format, and Web browsers will not display it.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

oh I see now. ok thanks for your advice guys!!!

Glad to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back