Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with Russian (cyrillic) data

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxitaly

Programmer
Jan 4, 2003
IT
I need to manage product descriptions data in more languages and one of them as to be Russian,

I have no idea how to handle cyrillic font in a table

Any suggestion ???

foxitaly,
What exactly you want to know?
You can work with Russian text the same way you work with any other text - strings, memos, etc.
If you want to know where to find and how to type Russian symbols, I can help you with that.

1.Go to Control Panel ->Add/Remove Programs ->Windows Setup Tab ->Multilanguage Support ->Select the one(s) you need, and follow the prompts to install it (insert Windows disk, if necessary, etc.), OK everything.

2.Go to Control Panel ->Keyboard -> Input Locales Tab -> Select Russian, make choices for it such as how to switch between character sets. You can select hot keys and enable indicator on taskbar, it will appear on the right of it.

3.Switch to the Russian, type all the symbols with and without Shift pressed, and you will have the keyboard layout. You can mark the keys, if you want.

Any other questions?
Stella.

the problem is a bit more complex

I need to setup a database of products interfaced to the web, the products descriptions have to be write in more languages italian, english, franch, german and russian.

So I need to input data through web form directly into the table ( as for queries ... ) and obviously in italian ... russian

Unfortunately, I can't help you much with Web applications,
and my experience with using Cyrillic in the tables and on the Web are two separate things. I usually use it to read some websites and write e-mails. For e-mails it looks simple: select your encoding (most popular ones are KOI8-R, Windows, and ISO), switch you keyboard to the proper character set, and just type what you want. For websites, if you cannot read it, just change the encoding. For the tables, I guess, you will have to deal with code pages.

Stella.

I'm not going to be alot of help, either, but I have some suggestions:

Check out the STRCONV() function, and Unicode and Double Byte character strings. Using this, the string itself should "know" what character set is used in it.

Also, use "Character (Binary)" and "Memo (Binary)" fields to store the text in the table: This way, the characters in the field are NOT changed when the DBF code page is changed: This way, you can store text of several code pages (as Unicode or Double Byte) in the same table, and not worry about stuff getting messed up if the DBF's code page is changed.

Wgcs,

You provided some useful information about Unicode and DBCS, but I don't think it is relevant here. Cyrrilic is not a Unicode symbol set, as it can be represented in 8 bits. It is just like Latin ("Western") alphabets in that respect.

FoxItaly,

As far as I know, there is no special difficulty in accepting Cyrrilic input from a web page. VFP will just see it a character string. You will need to an appropriate font to display it within your application, and will probably need to store a flag to say which alphabet the input is in. But apart from that, no special action will be needed.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

The reason I offered the reference is that it seems from his description ( the products descriptions have to be write in more languages italian, english, franch, german and russian. ) that foxitaly is dealing with more than just one language. Unicode would allow him to store strings of many different languages in different records (or even different fields of the same records, to provide translations of the same information) of the same table.

He could use encoding instead, but AFIK every string in the same table is treated with the same encoding, so he'd either have to store the string in a Binary Character or Memo field (to avoid code page translation), and store the proper code page number in another field of the same record to keep track.

Or he could store data of each language in its own table, with the encoding of the table set properly for the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back