Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Resource Pooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmasin

Technical User
May 3, 2002
GB
We are a number of project Managers running a series of projects, all sharing same resources. How can I set up a resource pool in Microsoft Project to share resources effectively? Any ideas will be most welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Francis

Is there some kind of user guide - step by step manual on how to set it up? I beleive that we have got the MSP server but nobody has a clue on how to set it all up.

Thanks and regards,

Francis

There are two options -

Creating a Resource Project (which means that every PM needs access to the file, and there are file sharing limitations such as last-save-wins) - in Project 2003 the title of the help file is 'Create a resource pool for sharing resources across projects'

The other is what is mentioned by BNPMike - Project Server which is a large system that uses servers (including SQL Server and a Web Server) to provide not just resource management but portfolio management opportunities. We're looking to outsource having Project Server installed, and the current estimate is about 6-8 weeks including requirements, software installation, and training.

Many thanks indeed Prothios! Will give it a try and if we need any expert advice, I know where to go.

Thanks and regards,

Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back