Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with RegEx for decimal numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhoury

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
US
Hello all...I've attempted to parse the following piece of HTML table for decimal numbers with limited luck. So far, i've gotten my RegEx to extract decimal numbers but I can't get it to recognize the value ".286792" below. Likewise, it is also capturing the "W. TF" because it has a "." in it.

Here is my expression so far...
\(?[0-9]{0,3}\.[0-9]{0,7}\)?

Any thoughts on what I am missing so far?

Thanks all,

Sam

<tr>
<td valign="top" align="left" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" class="ArticlePagesBodycopyReg" width="38%">W. TF</td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFCC" width="2%">&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top" align="right" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" class="ArticlePagesBodycopyReg" width="18%">.286792</td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFCC" width="2%">&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top" align="right" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" class="ArticlePagesBodycopyReg" width="13%">(0.022222)</td> <td bgcolor="#FFFFCC" width="2%">&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" class="ArticlePagesBodycopyReg" width="13%">0.16</td>
<td bgcolor="#FFFFCC" width="2%">&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFCC" class="ArticlePagesBodycopyReg" width="10%">8.87</td>
</tr>

Your expression thinks capturing only a period is okay. You'll want to require numbers on one side or the other.

This will work:

Code:
\(?(?:\d{1,3}\.\d{0,7}|\d{0,3}\.\d{1,7})\)?

Perfect - it works. Thanks!

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back