Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with RecordSet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMTS

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
I am new with VID and need some help. I have a VB component that returns some data into a record set on an ASP page. I want to display this data in a text area. How would I do this? Thanks.

response.write &quot;<textarea cols=90 rows=18>&quot;
response.write server.HTMLEncode( rs( <Fieldname> ) )
response.write &quot;</textarea>&quot;

br
Gerard
(-:

Better a known bug then a new release.

Also, try looking at this thread...

thread117-64416

which shows how to link the VB recordset to a recordset DTC, and thus all other DTCs can then hook in (if this is important to you).

MerlinB,

Thanks for the info. You said in that thread (Thread117-64416), that you created a Session recordset. I have been trying to do that and I have not been successful. This is what I have done:

'set my session record set object

set Session(&quot;rsGet_Details&quot;) = Server.CreateObject &quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)

'set object for VB dll

set rs1 = Server.CreateObject(&quot;PeoplePC.usp_getDetails&quot;)

'pass in values and connection then set my session
'record set = .get_details, which is an ADO record
'set created in the VB COM object.

with rs1
.Detail_ID = null
.CONNECTION = dbconn
set Session(&quot;rsGet_Details&quot;) = .Get_Details
end with

I am getting this error:

ADODB.Command error '800a0e7d'

Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session object, which is not supported by the current provider.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

MerlinB,

Looks like my problem is with my VB COM object not my VID code. I am trying to pass an active connection to a ADO command and it does not like it, not sure why but.... sorry for the confusion....

The recordset in the session variable was just an example. You should avoid using the session object in this way. Instead you would set the Recordset DTC recordsource to the output of your COM method.

Yes, you need a disconnected recordset - with client cursor and batch-update etc. Indeed, you will get used to this type of processing, particularly if you use MTS to 'host' your COM objects. If you use MTS, you may find it easier to upgrade the DLL (releasing DLL locks in IIS can be tricky).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back