Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with preload/transition movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

essentialDF

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
Hi there,

Can anyone help me out. I have a main flash movie (01main_movie.swf) that loads an external swf (02SILOmain.swf) into an empty MC. This external swf has a sub navigation, which then loads additional external swfs (0301SILO.swf, 0302SILO.swf, 0303SILO.swf) into another empty MC.

The problem I am having is with the movie: 02SILOmain.swf
It contains a MC called "transition" which has a preloader + transition to the next swf loaded. It seems to work fine except it doesn't load the movie "0301SILO.swf" when it is intially triggered by "01main_movie.swf" as I would like it to?? I think it's probably an issue of setting the correct path, but I can't seem to figure this out.

I would be grateful if someone can take a look at the "mock-up" files I have posted here:

Thanks for your help.
~s

I would but...

Unexpected file format! Can't open your .fla.
You'd have a better chance of getting an answer if your .fla was in a MX only format, and zipped up.

You would have to save a copy of your MX2004 .fla, (using Save as...) and changing the Document type to MX only in the Save as... window.

Regards. Affiliate Program - Web Hosting - Web Design
After 25,000 posts, banned on FK, but proud not to have bowed down to them!

Thanks oldnewbie,

I've converted the files to Flash mx and uploaded the new files all zipped up:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Working on a new site for myself and this is an important last step to the sub navigation :)

Regards,
~s

Yes, I'd like 0301SILO.swf to load as soon as 02SILOmain is loaded. Thus, button one would always load as the default image. That's the part I was having difficulty with in the transition movie clip in frame 1.

The rest of the buttons should load the swf that is assigned to them unless the user is currently viewing that swf.

Thanks oldnewbie, this stuff doesn't come easy to me!
Cheers.
~s

Thanks, I'll owe you one—or two, I'm sure you've helped me before :)

Hey oldnewbie, just wondering if it's possible to have this transition thing work.

If not, no probs—I can come up with a different way to load them.

Cheers,
s~

Haven't had time yet!

You know I did post this quick & dirty solution in your other thread...

Well a quick fix is to comment out your action on the first frame of your transition clip... But that's not really the correct way of doing it... Working on it, but busy in the next few hours... Maybe for Easter!

Hi oldnewbie,
I didn't really understand what you meant by this:
"comment out your action on the first frame of your transition clip"

I not that well versed in action script. Can you explain please?

Thanks,
~s

On the first frame of your transition clip, you have this actionscript:

_root.containersub1.section = "0301SILO.swf";

Either delete it, or better comment it out by adding 2 "//" at the head of it as:

//_root.containersub1.section = "0301SILO.swf";

That makes Flash believe this is only a comment so that action won't be executed.

Thanks, it works a little better now. It still doesn't load the first image for button 1 by default, but when I press button 1 it does load the image assigned to that button—which is better than nothing.

Cheers,
~s

That's why I was saying earlier that this was just a quick & dirty fix for now... Will try to get some time to look into it... Only time is missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back