Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with POS and Barcode scanner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

niagaracycle

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2005
US
Here is the situation:

Metrologic Voyager MS9540 USB Scanner
Quickbooks POS 4.0 Pro
Dell Optiplex 170L computer w/ MS XP Home

The scanner is installed on virtual com port 3.
I can run hyper terminal, and receive scanned bar code info just fine.
But if I run note pad or the POS, there is no information being received. The scanner beeps just like it does in hyper terminal for the scan of the bar code. But the info is just not getting there.
I have tried the two programs from Metrologic and this did not help.
I am new to the bar code system. And I am hitting a big brick (laser) wall here.
The scanner would not install into MS XP without a special driver that Metrologic had to send to me. Could there be something else missing?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
Russ

I don't alot about writing software that recognizes scanners but I do know that most software interfaces with the OPOS drivers of a device. Did you load the OPOS drivers? Thats all I got. Sorry if not helpful.

USB scanner should not need anything at all to work. Unplug and plug it back in (some Metrologic's also have external power supply.

You would use Hyper terminal only if you actually have a Serial Scanner. If you have a serial scanner you need to have Wedge software utility. What it does is grab data from the COM port and present it to the application running (notepad etc). That is why you are able to communicate with the scanner using Hyper terminal and no data when using notepad.

That was it. A simple wedge. I really do appreaciate the all the help and useful insight!
Have a good one!
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back