Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Oracle 10g

Status
Not open for further replies.

EduardoArias

Programmer
Jan 18, 2008
US
HELP!!!!

Hey everybody ... I'm in some kind of trouble trying to complete this week's lab assignment.

There are several reasons why I cannot get it done:

1- First of all, when I have to load the ORDER_TRANS.SQL file, I have to it with the following code:

@Q:\SAI430_002\ORDER_TRANS.SQL

The weird thing is that in my project instructions say that if we have a copy of the ODER_TRANS.SQL in the Q: drive (Our school drive) we don't need to use the "@" at the beginning. Well, for me does not work and it gives me an error saying the the command is not recognize. But when I use the "@" before the "Q" works.

Then, when the file is loaded, I get many errors saying " table or view does not exist"

2- This is the code I'm using to create the table:

CREATE TABLE ERROR_AUDIT
(REF_ID VARCHAR2(10),
CUR_USER VARCHAR2(15),
PROCESS_DATE DATE,
INPUT_FILE VARCHAR2(20),
RECORD_ID VARCHAR2(15),
HANDLED_ERROR VARCHAR2(100));

Well, when this code runs, it gives me an error message saying "name is already used by an existing object". In addition, I did this with the other table names in the assigment and the result was the same.

Can someone give me feedback to resolve this?

Thanks

Please read the posting policy below the Submit Post button...

Promoting, selling, recruiting and student posting
are not allowed in the forums.

Upsss ... oh .. I'm so sorry that I coudn't do that. I trully apologize.

Eduardo

Honesty is it's own reward....

and in view of that I'm sure we can give you some pointers.

Firstly, I'm not aware of any circumstances where an @ or a 'start' is not required when running an sqlplus command. Secondly, you may want to consider including, as the first statement in your create table script, a drop of any existing object of the same name, so that you are effectively starting with a clean slate. Additionally, read dbtoo2001's links and raise the matter with your school.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Thank you very much. It is interesting you said that about the @, as I was talking to someone else in a Microsoft forum and he said the same thing. Well, I got to run the script last night, but now I have another problem in my third test when using a xml procedure.

Would I be able to ask you a question or two in here?

Thank you again,

Eduardo

You know, I was rethinking my post before and I apologize for just slamming the door in your face. It does get frustrating when you are trying to find answers, even with school.

However, I do not think you can post a school question in here and we just reply with the answer. I think it is a good practice, for the people answering, to give you direction... such as "Check out pipline functions" or "You know, an aggregate function call would probably be best for you". I think this is more important because this helps develop the tools needed to find answers on your own. When you get a job, they won't want you asking co-workers or forums on how to do your job.

So I would say, don't be afraid to post in here. We will provide ideas and suggestions before giving a straight answer.

Again, I am sorry I seemed so harsh before with the posting policy.

Hello everybody,

Ok, I got my xml procedures to run. I truly appreciate everybody's help. In fact, each answer helped learn something new that actually lead me to successfully analyze and execute my program.

I also truly appreciate the Mikey's message as it is exactly what I use the forums for. I don't expect to get an answer to a problem, but rather a point of view.

Again, thanks a lot for your willingness to help, and I'll be back soon enough.

Eduardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back