Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with NT4.0 server configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Help! I've been given a task to design a server that will just run two services: security authentication and DHCP. I would like to have fault tolerance in mind when I build this box. The server will be on a network that will have 26 workstations logging into it.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?

I wouldn't suggest you BUILD this server. Go<br>
buy a quality Compaq, HP or IBM server with the stuff you need. If you enjoy building<br>
things, you can install your own hard drives<br>
in these machines.

Any decent workgroup server from a brand name manufacturer will do the trick. Just on general principles, put in as much RAM as you can afford (even for just PDC and DHCP I would put in 256MB). If you're sure these are the only two services you will be running you could get by 2 mirrored hard disks and a tape drive for fault tolerance. Make sure you have a UPS and preferably an dedicated electrical circuit with an isolated ground. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Second draft:<br>
<br>
I'm going to amend the above question. The reason why I need to build it from parts as apposed to buying brand name items is simply that I work for a local gov't organization that has a contract with a local vendor. This vendor sells clone PC's. Also, this organization I work for isn't known for buying name brand items let alone spend monies for these items. <br>
<br>
Now that I have given the reason why I actually need this, would you reconsider helping me on this?

I would definitely go with a Tier-1 product. That would be Compaq, IBM, DELL or any others. Not only is all their products tried and tested, but with most of these vendors, you can purchase different levels of support. Onsite, next-day parts, etc. For 23 users, look for minimum of duplexing for fault tolerance, but I recommend RAID 5. I would buy the tape unit form the vendor as this means they will warranty the backup. If you have enough RAM (256 or 512), then performance should not be an issue, depending on your clients.

(second draft)<br>
Vince is giving you some good advice. I also suggest you purchase a &quot;brand&quot; name<br>
for this application. Don't build it! If your boss is worried about spending &quot;too much money&quot;, tell him he needs an education in PC management. <br>
With the low cost of quality PC's today, it is usually a no-brainer. Once you add the<br>
cost of your labor (with overhead) to select parts, assemble, configure & test the<br>
unit, you will far exceed the &quot;cost&quot; of a good machine that &quot;works&quot;, not to mention<br>
the inherent reliability of an IBM, Compaq, etc.<br>
Home-made clone machines are fine for home or light office duty, but not for an<br>
application where 23 users will depend in it. Try to convince management it's the<br>
best thing to do. I'm sure your vendor can round one up if you ask him.<br>

What sort of parts can you use to build your system? You can still build a system with some quality parts -- ie Intel Motherboard, Adaptec SCSI controllers, 3Com NICs, and a name brand video card and Seagate SCSI Barracuda Hard Drives. I agree with everyone that you should go with reliability since all parts are tested with each other by the manufacturer. But go build a system on paper with the absolute quality parts and bring that to the boss along with a price from Compaq or HP and see what he chooses.<br>
<br>
I recommend getting at least duplexed drives also, but if you want the top of the line hard drive reliability and performance, get a standalone RAID controller to control your RAID 5 drives -- absolutely do not use the RAID (disk striping with parity) within Windows NT, use a seperate controller to give yourself a hardware RAID.<br>
<br>
It can be done without going with a brand name company on the front panel, but if you want to build it - put in quality parts, not just the ones the vendor gives to you - specify from them the names you want.<br>
<br>
Like was said before by others, maximize the RAM, get a good Tape Backup with Seagate Backup Exec or ArcServe (do not use the backup built into NT), a UPS with Smart software to gracefully shutdown in case of power loss.

If you have a number of servers, you will have at least one BDC to take over on a failure and you could get DHCP going on another machine but you would have to pick new unused address ranges and things would be screwy until it all settled down. I have 2 servers made from generic machines however one is a print server only and the other only shares application images for installations. My other 3 servers are Compaqs.<br>
<br>
So now, even though I have said you could get away with it DON'T! Any mahcine that holds live, production data or supports a business critical process should be on good, brand hardware that is designed to be a server. <br>
<br>
If you're only running PDC and DHCP, you don't need a lot of horsepower. A clone with good components or a low end Compaq (for ex.) will not be much different in price. Do a complete study of the likelyhood of failure, esitmated downtime and the cost to the company of that downtime for both machines and I think you will find a brad server to be a no-brainer for critical functions. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

To build or not build..that is the question. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate at the prospect of building my own PC or server. One positive aspect to building your own is compatiblity, the clones are universal and not proprietary like some of the major name brands such as: Compac, HP, (Dell is getting less proprietary), just to name a few. Your money will go along way and you can still purchase name brand components and get good warranties too. Usually you can get a much better price on your parts and components when you build a &quot;true&quot; 100% IBM clone. It only takes 1-2 hrs. to build a box. I have been building my PC's at home (and have done it for some business people around my home port) for the last 6 years. At least when you build your own system, you know what really is in the box. I agree about the memory too, Windows NT 4.0 server requires a lot of memory. On the server side, Microsoft recommends 16MB of RAM running a 486, (we all know how Microsoft's recommendations go), personally at least 64 MB of RAM, 128MB is better of course, for the workstations 12MB of RAM running a 486, (again Microsoft recommendations), 32MB or 64MB would be even better for the workstations. MORE memory is always better, as we all know. Windows 2000, personally, I'm waiting for Microsoft to get rid of most of the bugs and I read and hear better reviews about the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back