Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with making a nice Grey for CMYK output

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjoy

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
GB
Hi, I have designed a folder with a dark charcoal grey and need to get this ready for print looking on screen the mix looks good at C40 M40 Y40 K90. I have no idea how this will look printed but am hoping for a good basic grey for corporate folder, not too blue not too brown/muddy etc is there any set spec for a good dark grey. Also how does it compare to using just K value example C0 M0 Y0 K80 for my grey to make sure its neutral, although my setting of K100 looks lighter on screen than above, just not sure how to specify grey, I normally use designer black when using black C70 M50 Y30 K100 but not sure about how to make my grey!

Thanks

Sam

...cmyk grey does have it's risks because your using more than one ink to make grey, tint of black only is in some ways easier to print, your grey values of 40 40 40 90 are quite dark, I would be surprised if it doesn't end up looking black. To get a good cmyk grey you need to use a neutral cmy build...a good starting point is to use a Lab value, say L=50 A=0 B=0 and then convert that to a destination profile (ISO coated or uncoated profile or a US coated or uncoated profile, depending on where you are in the world. This will give you a color managed grey value, a theoretical neutral cmyk grey. I say theoretical because the output is still dependent on how well your print provider is set up with regards color management...until you see a proof there is no telling...there are many variables to consider such as paper used and whether a print provider is accurately color managed...

...never the less even with color managed workflows it's advised to always see printed proofs on color critical work or better yet do a press pass at the printers if possible...

...but I would at least start with a lab value converted to a color managed profile to give you a cmyk grey...or refer to a Pantone book and use the equivalent cmyk values.

...black nearly always prints darker than you think...90% black is as goog as solid black sometimes, so don't trust the monitor.

andrew

============
============

Many thanks will look into LAB colour!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back