Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with mail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this but hopefully someone can help.

We have a national database of members numbering approx 180.

These members are formed into 6 groups of 30

So –

Group 1 South (30 Members)
Group 2 South West (30 Members)
Group 3 South East (30 Members)
Group 4 North (30 Members)
Group 5 North East (30 Members)
Group 6 North West (30 Members)

We generate enquiries for these members and forward them automatically by email. We will use access database, Active Server Pages and CDONTS mail (Unless someone suggests otherwise)

Problem 1 is reasonably straightforward. I think?

We want enquiries originating in the South to go to members in the South only. Same applies to other areas.

Problem 2 is more difficult –

I need any individual incoming enquiry to go to only 5 of the 30 members in that area.

Any subsequent enquiry coming from the same area will go to a different 5 members (The next 5 in line on a strict rota basis)

After 6 enquiries the circle is complete and the 7th enquiry will go to the original 5 members.

The form for submitting enquiries via our web site, can be configured with a drop menu to select area the enquiry is originating from.

Need a script that will perform the filtering of enquiries by area, and send enquiry to just 5 members. Must also ‘remember’ who had enquiry last and ignore them until it is their turn again.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

John

well from the look of it it isn't that hard...but i won't give you the code...but i'll show you how it can be done.

1) in order to determine the area, you should get by zip code, or by area...by a drop down box. you can then depending on which it can pass the information.

for example your database:
Table Region
autonumber region
1 south
2 southwest

Table Person
autonumber region
1 1

region.autnumber will be a foregin key of person.region

autonumber = primary key..

from there, you can set each into a group...or you can further break them into groups of 5.

then you can do math :)

1 -> you can do math of 1-5
2 -> you can do match of 6-10
and etc.

if you set them into invidiaul groups...you can select the entries by a random number generator and then splitting back the number out picking the person in the group...if you want it another way you can use a flag to mark the person been choosed already.

It isn't that hard to write out the script.

Hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back