Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with LPT1 in XP !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

menny10

Technical User
Jan 23, 2001
MX
Hi, to all,
Im have little network in WIN NT4, with 2 win98 and 3 XP pro, then in my server we share a printer to everybody, but some application need to send by lpt1 to that printers, then i have problems to do that with the XP, they print by the ip, of the printer, but how i do to route lpt1 by XP.

Please any help !!!!!

I've had this call, it should work for Win2k and WinXP.

Here it is in a nutshell:

Method 1
Establish a persistent connection using NET.EXE. To do so, use the following syntax at a command prompt:
net use lptx: \\printserver\sharename /persistent:yes

Method 2
Print directly to the printer share by using the following syntax at a command prompt:
print /d:\\printserver\sharenamedrive:\path\filename

If the LPT port is redirected successfully, the following message should appear:
The command completed successfully.

To disconnect persistent LPTx connections, use the following syntax:
net use lptx /delete

James P. Grant III
A+ Certified Technician
Associate DCSE for Desktops
Associate DCSE for Portables
(D.ell C.ertified S.ystems E.ngineer)

ehy sykotik,

i try that method 1, with the /persistent:yes then i return with a error that say so, ¨¨system error 67¨¨, i dont´know whats mean, i gona try method 2.

In XP non-administrative users cannot map LPT1 if there exists a physical printer port: This is by "design" according to Microsoft. So, you need to remove this restriction. . Download the Microsoft SDK tool Devcon.exe from Microsoft at this site:

Devcon.exe is a sort of command line Device Manager on steroids. Place this in an accessible directory to the user during login.

Copy and paste the below into notepad, and use it in an existing logon batch or standalone give it a .CMD extension:

REM remove local lpt1 assignments on client
REM *PNP0401 is the local lpt1 assignment

devcon disable *PNP0401

REM do the redirection to a network printer. Persistant is optional

net use lpt1: \\pserver\printer /persistant:yes

REM the client is now using a network printer on lpt1
REM a Dillinger99 trick to set the default attribute

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n\\pserver\printer /y

REM End of the batch file

This thread has other good ideas: thread779-581142

Status
Not open for further replies.