Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Lost Links please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman32

Technical User
Feb 13, 2003
US
Greetings,

I am a PM newbie .. please bare with me ... Writing first book in PM6.5, 352 pages with 800+ color tiffs, all at a resolution of 300. I am down to last 4 pages but now I have found a problem with the links.

Here is what I have:

I did all tiffs in adobe photoshop, then saved in a file sub-folder. I placed all images in PM using the "place" command. no problems that I knew of, and I can see all the low res images on the pages. However, in the link manager two thirds of the images now have question marks. When I highlight one in the links manager it says " pagemaker cannot locate the linked file" .. when I select the info dialog, I can see the file is there ... why is PM not finding it?

I thought it was going too smoothly for the last few weeks :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time -

Jim

I have encountered a similar problem when trying to open a PM doc on the PC with linked filenames generated on a Mac. MS Windows may be able to read the file names but PM is pickier. Do you have any odd characters in your filenames (like slashes)?

Working in OSX may also cause file name problems like this.

Do you get some sort of error message when you try to relink?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question -

I created all the files using a windows system with photoshop, and the same system PM is on. The file names are all numbers and letters i.e. a10a a10b etc. I could find no pattern between the flies it likes and those it doesnt - example, I created and saved photos at the same time, all the same way named a4a to a4g .. yet it wont see 5 of the 7 out of this set anymore. Again, the low res images are still present.

I did go to one low res pic on a random page and deleted it - then went right in to file> place> and put it right back from the same file location - it worked fine, no errors and no more link problems.

I do have the option I imagine to do that to every picture, but with in excess of 800 color pictures, many multi-layered on a page and all of them bordered, I was hoping I could avoid that.

I hope this answers your question, and I look forward to hearing back from you with any thoughts -

Jim

Do you have a virusscanner on your system? Try to turn it off......

Hi, Jim,

The question marks mean the image has been changed - i.e. moved or changed size. If ALL your images are in the one folder and have not changed size, then you could try this:

Copy your *.P65 file into that folder. When you open the *.P65 file, PM will look in that folder for any missing images, and if it is a case of a new location, will update and remove the ? marks. The downside is all your files are in the same folder which may not be advantageous if there are hundreds.

All the usual provisos about having a backup in place FIRST, you're on your own in the event of disaster, etc.

Iechyd da! John
16:00 17/02/03 GMT

It sounds as if the image sizes were changed once brought into PM!! If the sizing is changed by using the select tool to enlarge/reduce, the integrity of the image has been changed -- the resulting image will probably show pixels and you will not be very happy.
My first question would be to ask if you had first consulted your printer. That sounds like a very sizeable job and you must do it right the first time or the resulting print job will be terrible. And, don't rely on your ink jet printer for proofing as the images will look much different when printed on a quality litho press.
I work with student designers every day and they always want to fly through the basics>> but, it comes back to haunt them every time!
There are some options available -- but, check with your printer first.

You're not linking across a network are you? That plays havoc with linked files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back