Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with Linksys BEFVP41 and static IP address 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abaseballfan

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
Hi, does anyone know how to configure this Linksys model for a static IP address, our service provider is SBC and we have a sticky ip address which is 5 static ip addresses from them, and they said I need to turn on bridging for this to work or do some kind of net routing or ip maping, I think the first would be the easiest for me to do. The problem is that where trying to establish a vpn connection with a company we work for, and right now with PPPoE I can access the internet and all that but VPN will not work because I do not have the correct default gateway and it's not seeing any of the ip addresses, anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

I think you will need a different router from what I understand, SBC even came out and they could not get it to work, on the router they provide they can turn bridging on and be done with it, but from what the level 2 said at Linksys this router does not do the sticky ip address.

I actually got mine to work. My problem was that it depends if your Modem is a router or not.

(Side B) IP address that the Modem presents to internet is dependent on whether MOdem is a router - if it is, then the other VPN side (Side A) needs to use the fixed Gateway address of Side B. If not, use regular IP address of Side B.

Visa versa applies.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the information :) maybe I need a new modem then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back