Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpill

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
I have a mainframe background and fairly new to SQL/ASP. I need some help with the following query:

----------------------------------------------------------
Select qry.*, c.* from Client c Inner Join ( Select * from Buyer where (SaleNumber = 'nyc68603') and (Hammer > 1000) and (CountryCode = 'us') and (State = 'ny' or State = 'nj' or State = 'ct')) as qry on c.AccountNumber = qry.AccountNumber
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to speed this up and was wondering - instead of 'joining' the Client as above, would it be more efficient to select the Buyers and then relate the extracted set to Clients? If so, could someone please let me know how.

Thanks,
Ric

Hi Ric,

that's what inner join does.

A better way to write query would be:

Select
b.*, c.*
from
Client c Inner Join Buyer b on c.AccountNumber = B.AccountNumber
where
B.SaleNumber = 'nyc68603'
and B.Hammer > 1000
and B.CountryCode = 'us'
and (B.State = 'ny' or B.State = 'nj' or B.State = 'ct')

Hope it helps!
nicsin

Thanks Nicsin,

This could work but my queries (dynamically generated) could be a selection from the Buyers, Sellers, Bidder etc. files related to a Client.

Thanks,

Ric

Hi,

instead of generating queries independently for each table, generate one like the one I mentioned. You can have three string variables strSelect, strFrom, strWhere. add the info you want to each of them and at the end concatenate them to for the query. an example for three tables would be:

Select
b.*, c.*
from
Client c Inner Join Buyer b on c.AccountNumber = B.AccountNumber
inner join bidder on c.accountNumber = bidder.accountNumber
where
B.SaleNumber = 'nyc68603'
and B.Hammer > 1000
and B.CountryCode = 'us'
and (B.State = 'ny' or B.State = 'nj' or B.State = 'ct')
and bidder.fieldName = <yourCriterion>

regards,
nicsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back