Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sypher9878

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
US
A buddy of mine demonstrated his ability to obtain my ip address through aim. I thought this was cute skill and he challenged me to find a way to do it myself. I have used ip sniffers and whatnot to monitor my traffic and i understad all if it i see. The problem im having is all the traffic is from 2 ip's my computer(inernal network) and my external ip(on the other side of the router) so i cant see any other ip address it is going to retrieve but i can see all the data in the packet. If anyone know a way around this i would like the info.

Maybe im using the wrong prog????

Connect to someone with AIM, then open a command session and type netstat -a

I know that will work, but i know that when i open an aim windows that the two computers are exchanging information...it is just connectionless. But ip's are in the packets that are sent..i am just trying to find a way to make it where i see traffic outside my router?

The chat portion is run through the AOL servers.

Send your buddy a file, or have him send you one.

netstat will pick up immediately the remote IP address.

again not my exact problem...the problem im having is monitoring traffic outside my router...when i use packet sniffers/protocal analyzers/etc i can only see what i send to my router and what it sends to me....as of right now i cant even see the connection to the aol servers.

Sounds to me like you are monitoring the router's IP address. the packet sniffer will give you information on all traffic that has a destination IP of the router's IP.

Put the sniffer on YOUR IP address, then when you ping or connect to anything, the IP addresses will be there.
If you point the sniffer to an external address, everything will die at your first router hop, (read about collision domains and broadcast domains in Google)

If you sniff the MAC address, you'll even see the DHCP Offers, ACKs, etc....

I hope this helps........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back