Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with internet mail - incorrect reply to address

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotesV2

Technical User
May 2, 2010
US
Hi,

I have a major problem with my notes mail. I have not been able to figure out the exact circumstances that cause this. But when I send out emails and people reply to them, it does not use the correct return address! It uses the name of the notes id rather than the specified internet mail address.

So for example, I send an email to someone using the internet address idname@domain. But when the recipient replies, it fills in the send to address with the name of the Notes ID I was using. And from what I have been told, it sometimes appends the recipients domain. So it is not immediately obvious that the wrong address is being used.

This problem appears to have begun, but not 100% sure, after upgrading from 7.x to 8.5.

I am using Notes as a stand-alone client so there is no home server available. I am also using an old ID that is not hierarchical.

I checked my location document and correct address is specified in the "Internet mail address" address field.

And most of the people I send mail to do not use notes but some other mail application.

Finally, if people manually enter my address correctly the email works perfectly. So this is not a problem with transferring mail, it is a problem with the reply address being generated.

My best guess at this point is it has something to do with the settings under "File-Security-User Security-Your Identity" . When I open the box, a pop-up appears stating Notes could not retrieve some information because I do not have a home server. So next to Internet email name it says "<Information not available>." I suspect this is where the problem is coming from but I have no idea how to change it since I do not have a home server.

I'm really hoping someone can offer some help. This is a very hard problem to deal with because it is not obvious when it is happening. And it has made using mail so unreliable I am considering giving up using Notes altogether.

Thanks

If you have access to the Notes Designer, you could add or change the ReplyTo field to your proper address and make it Computed, to override any changes that might happen in Script.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this as it should solve it for most people. However I've found (I do a lot of Notes programming in my job) that some of the thinner email clients do not recognize the replyto field.

JB

Interesting. Does that mean that they take the sender name to reply to ?

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back