Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with importing a text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty906

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
HK
hi all, i got a problem that i need a solution to before the end of the week so any help is much appreciated. i'm working on a system that allows users to import csv files and then allow them to create dynamic mailmerge and excel files. originally i was using the docmd.transfertext method to import the files, but i ran into problems with Access converting my account numbers and phone numbers into exponent notation. so to avoid this problem i wrote a function to read the first line of the text files to build the skeleton of the table and then to create the fields as dbText with 255 field length. From there i imported the file into the table. but this method created another problem, some phone numbers were unsucessfully imported. the weird thing is that some phone numbers of the same length are imported successfully. is this a known bug and is there a work around? thanks in advance.

jeff

one more thing. if i use the import wizard to import the file into the existing table it works fine, it's only when i use the transfertext method the error occurs.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back