Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with IBM Thinkpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowlerlfc

MIS
Mar 20, 2002
US
I just got an IBM thinkpad 600 running win98 up until today, it was booting just fine. However, there was a IRQ conflict between my IDE contoller and my PCI controller (IRQ 14). The IDE controller was in device manager twice (IRQ 14 and 15). I decided to check the BIOS to see if there were multiple harddrives. I restarted the computer, but didn't know the keystroke to get into the bios. I tried all the usual, and when I tried alt+esc a graphic of a diskette and drive and function keys showed up. Now I can't get to Windows at all. After rebooting the pc posts then returns to the graphic. I tried a boot disk to get to windows, but it returns that there are no fixed drives. Any ideas to get me back into windows and fix my resource conflict?

Try holding down esc, or F1 while you power up.

Stangif.GIF
email Cougar_01@hotmail.com

Hi, not really enough details about your system to maybe see whats wrong and there are dozens of different models of 600. Usually on a label underneath it gives Machine type and model. Anyway, power off, hold F1 key and power up. Keep holding key 'till setup screen appears. You are in the Bios. The machine has two Busmaster drivers, one on IRQ14 and one on IRQ15, this is normal.

Regards Michael

I am having a similar issue. I have gotten into the system bios and see no issues there - but I have the following under hard disk controllers:

(!)Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller

The Intel controller is having a resource conflict with the other two controllers, but I have no way of resolving the conflict. Suggestions?

i've had similar problems with my two IBM laptops. Both laptops experienced a similar failures and turned out to be the HDDs were bad in both cases. Talking to our IT guys, I guess this problems is not that unusal for IBM laptops. Only good news is that it's an easy fix, but expensive! Just replace the HDD.

Hi People, Brain has just engaged, there is a fix for this, it affects various Thinkpads especially the 600 and 770. Take this link, its an error in device manager and you need a registry patch to resolve it.
Read the txt file.
I have just referred to one of the supplemental disks. You will need to pick the exact disk for your machine. This link will take you to the machine matrix. Pick your machine and then then go for the supplemental disk.

regards Michael
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back