Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with HSRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequietstorm

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

I need some assistance configuring a couple of routers. The routers will be in a small office network which link to our remote office via frame relay and ISDN dial backup. I want to set up HSRP on these router, but I am so sure how to start. Can someone please help me? Any sample configuration would help. Thank you in advance.

ROUTER 1

interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 172.20.16.2 255.255.0.0
standby 1 ip 172.20.16.1
standby 1 timers 1 2
standby 1 priority 110 preempt
standby 1 authentication whatever

ROUTER 2

interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 172.20.16.3 255.255.0.0
standby 1 ip 172.20.16.1
standby 1 timers 1 2
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 authentication whatever

Set the routers up as HSRP groups.. if you use the normal way of configuring HSRP, one router will sit there and do nothing until it's needed. If you failover using groups, the two routers can do other things while still providing failover for each other.

Group A - has router1
Group B - has router2

Group A is primary and Group B is secondary so that ANY router in Group A can cover for a failure in Group B. It can be a single router/switch in the group.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back