Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with hexadecimals...please! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojan800

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
I have completely forgotten how to convert hexadecimals and while this question isn't directly related to TCP/IP (it is a MAC address), I figured someone here might still be able to help me. It relates to an issue I am having with my VMWare machine. So on to my question...

ethernet[n].address = 00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ

In this line, XX must be a valid hexadecimal number between 00h and 3Fh, and YY and ZZ must be valid hexadecimal numbers between 00h and FFh.

Could some one please at the very least give me a couple of examples that would work here. Thanks so much for any and all help in advance.
-Rory

What you could always do is run Calc from any MS OS and do it from there, all you would need to do is change the view to scientific.

Thanks for the tip Simon, however I have tried using it but still fail to see how... it only shows up to 'F' and beyond that I don't remember how to use the scientific functions anyway. So if you can figure out how and give a quick explanation that would be great.

Simon...here is a star for you! Thanks so much. I was way off. The 'h' at the end of the numbers was throwing me off. While I thought the calculater was off it was in fact that h just notates that they are hexadecimals... of course its very obvious now.

Hi,

Although the calculator is certainly a faster way to do it. I thought it would be nice to know the manual way of doing it.

A hexadecimal numnber is a Byte (binary representation) divided into two parts...each part having 4 bits. Each part is called a nibble.

So Hexadecimal 50 = 5 + 0 = 0101 + 0000 = 01010000 in binary.

While binary form uses numbers 0 to 9 for representation, hexadecimal form uses Letters A to F additionaly for representing numbers 10 through to 15.

So Hexadecimal 5F would mean 5 + 15 = 0101 + 1111 = 01011111 in binary.

Knowing these representaions can prove to be handy in certain situations.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back