Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Gigabyte MB GA-7VAXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcomputer

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte MB, Radeon 9700, 512 of PC3200, Athlon XP2100.. This is my problem, the computer eventually stops working. I turn it on and it recieves power but no POST no nothing.. This is my second board.. I tested two monitors, two video cards, and two different kinds of memory in the first board and checked for a BIOS update.. None of these fixed the problem, so I sent it back to tiger direct and chalked it off to the AGP slot..

Now I just recieved a new one, the same model number because this board is sweet. :) It is starting to do the same. I found out that I can jiggle the monitor cable on the back of the PC when it is off and it will work.. But you only get about two attempts at that.. Then it wont work again. I checked recommended memory modules, I have a Samsung 512PC3200 and it says it only supports Kingston 512's, but it does support Samsung just the 256Meg sticks..

I am thinking this is the problem.. If anyone knows of this problem please let me know.. Thanks Much appreciated.

I have the same board and can say I am very pleased with it
When the Nforce2 motherboards came out just a couple of weeks after I got mine I was a little anoyed that I hadn't waited, that was untill I built several systems with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and realized just how unstable and troublesome this board can be. The KT400 chipset might not be as outright fast as the Nforce2 but not far off, all I can say is give me stability everytime over performance.

The fault you are reporting doesn't seem to make sense, clearly if the system boots to display when the monitor cable is moved it must be in that area that you have a problem? (broken VGA wire or poor connection in the socket)
Moving the VGA cable at the back of the system on the face of it, cannot have any relation to a memory fault.
What have you set in the bios? I would try optimal to start with, with bios defaults.
You are correct in a sense bringing up the memory as a possible cause, many of the newer chipsets are becoming very fussy about memory make/type and size, I must say I would feel happier if you had 2X 256mb strips instead of the 1X 512.
As with all diagnosis though, first take the system down to a bare minimum state to boot, then if it boots ok add one thing at a time, I have seen all sorts of hardware produce intermittant or non boot faults including Cdroms, hard drives and memory. Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hi Paparazi,

Thank you for the speedy reply.. The system seems to run fine now.. The only thing I switched in the BIOS, when I installed it was the DRAM clock to DDR400.. I switched that back to auto detect and it seems to run fine now.. The first time I tried two montiors, one known to be working, and it failed as well..

After I tried another monitor, I thought maybe the video card(almost two years old) was going out.. So I tried a known to be working video card and still nothing. So next I tried a 512 stick of Corsair PC2100 and still nothing.

So I assumed the AGP slot was bad(not very likely)but I just bought it and thought to return it. The system would start up but no POST and no picture on the montior. As far as jiggling the montior connection, it would work a few times after I did that, so I thought the monitor or video card was the problem and thats were the troubleshooting process began..

You are correct about newer chipsets being fussing about memory, I remember the trip's to Fry's electronics for some generic memory was all you needed. :)
Once again thanks for your reply.. TPinky

Well %#$%...

Its still acting up, Paparazi what kind of memory are you running with your Gigabyte GA-7VXP board.. Since you have no problems I will get the memory you have..

Mine is Major on third (winbound chips) DDR2700, I,ve got 2X 256mb sticks.
We have better success with 2700DDR not 3200 and always use modules with branded memory processors.
We have used Samsung, Winbound, NEC all have proved reliable, generic is a no no. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back