Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with flexible BRI setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddlink

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
SE
Hi,

I would like some suggestions about how to do the following:

Cisco801 (LAN: 172.26.1.0, WAN: 172.31.19.2) which is dialed by the following equipment.

Cisco2611 (LAN: 10.65.24.189, WAN: 172.31.19.1)
Cisco760 (LAN: 192.168.6.5, WAN: 172.31.19.3)
Windows2K Dial-up connection (172.26.1.100 when connected to the 801)

2611 & 760 is always dialing from the same place, but the Windows2K laptop could be dialing from anywhere.

any ideas?

You want to use Dialer interfaces for this:

username cisco2611 password cisco
username win2kpc password cisco

int bri0
no ip address
encap ppp
ppp auth chap
dialer pool-member 1

int d1
desc router link
ip addr 172.31.19.2 255.255.255.0
encap ppp
ppp auth chap
dialer pool 1
dialer remote-name cisco2611
dialer-group 1
dialer string nnnn ;remote isdn no

int d2
desc win2k pc link
ip addr 172.26.1.101 255.255.255.0
encap ppp
ppp auth chap
dialer pool 1
dialer remote-name win2kpc
dialer-group 1
dialer string nnnn ;remote isdn no

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

On the pc set the dial up networking to use the same chap password as in the username/password command. The username is the remote devices hostname.
You could add another dialer interface for another router. If you use the same one for both remote routers then you would end up with 2 remote routers using the same host name. Hope this make sense.

Thank you!

I follow you to upto interface dialer 2 where im loosing it.

Normally routing looks like this (which i understand):
LAN-WAN<--[CLOUD]-->WAN-LAN

But on interface dialer 2?
LAN-WAN<--[CLOUD]-->PEER
172.26.1.2-172.26.1.101<--[CLOUD]-->172.26.1.100

So when int d2 is active, the router is known as both 172.26.1.2 and .101 on the LAN or?

Could I do ip unnumbered on int D2? Maybe I'd like to add an ip local pool for the laptop users (but thats all secondary).

My second but more important question (maybe I can solve the above by trial and error) are:
dialer string nnnnn #isdn no

In my case the laptop user could be dialing from anywhere. Any other ways to do this?

I am assuming that the laptop user is dialing straight into your router, not going via an ISP connection?

If so then you can apply an IP address to the dial up adapter on the PC, and use another Ip address from the same IP subnet on the Interface D2 on the router.

Use a different IP subnet to that applied to the LAN interface on the laptop. Also dont forget to disconect the laptop LAN port when using the dial up link, if the laptop thinks the LAN is active then it probably wont send data over the dial up link. Use ROUTE PRINT to view the laptop route table.

You could use DHCP to supply the IP address, its more complex and not worth the effort if you are only setting up one laptop user.

I should have explained the dialer command a bit better, the add to the command DIALER STRING the ISDN number you want to call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back