Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Email problem,Thunderbird Support can't seem to answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi all;I have 2 Windows computers both have Thunderbird Email Clients installed,both have same email account.One computer is a laptop the other a desktop.The desktop is set to keep messages on server till I delete them,and the laptop is set to leave messages on the server.Why am I not getting all messages on the desktop? I check the mail on the laptop,and some messages there,are not on the desktop,and I don't get them on the desktop.? I'll be waiting for a certain email,and it will come in on the laptop and not the desktop,and I don't check the laptop all the time.I'm always on the desktop.I know confusing? I can't figure out why,support has no clue.Thankyou for any reasons why this does this.

The messages are possibly being flagged as read on the server by the laptop and the desktop client is not downloading read messages.

Does your mail server have IMAP support? If so set the laptop to use IMAP rather than POP.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I would also check Junk folder if ity exists and Deleted folder and see if somehow the desktop has a rule set that actually moves messages to either folder.

Hello ChrisHirst;should I set the laptop to not flag each email as read? It is set to flag each email as read immediately on display,same on the desktop.Could this be the problem? Don't know if Verizon Email has IMAP support,using pop server now?

tlcscousin; the junk folder is set to put selected emails that are junk to a separate folder,when they are clicked on as junk,on certain emails.
Both desktop and laptop are set the same way.This could be a problem if a email comes in on the desktop as junk,get deleted to folder,but comes in on laptop,and laptop doesn't see it as junk and displays the email.Right? is this what your talking about?

If both are set to leave a copy on server so the other one can receive the same email, and ones junk filter or message rule flags certain emails as suspect or matching a rule, it can either place the email in the junk mail folder, or actually delete emails that match the rules.
I would look in both trash and junk and see if the messages you are missing is in either folder.

turn off all junk mail settings on your isp
use TBs junk mail settings on both the laptop and desktop
turn off the option to mark emails as read on the server once they are viewed, because if the laptop gets the email before your desktop and marks it as read then your desktop will not get those emails

i have a setup similar to yours
my laptop is set to leave emails on the server
my desktop is set to delete them from the server when it downloads them

i travel with the laptop and use my desktop as a backup/storage for my emails

i also get my emails on my phone

so far i have not had the problem you are experiencing

ok eyec;will give it a try,are you saying turn off emails as read on the server,meaning online email,and not in TB? I have Verizon email,and I'm not finding where I can turn off the option to mark emails as read,in options online?. Has to be there somewhere.Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back