Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with e-commerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKeddy

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
Hi Folks ,any of you know of cheapo ways of accepting credit cards on your site,I'm getting bamboozled here by Verisign teling me I need a Merchant account and secure servers for processing transactions but it all costs plenty,and it's not something you want to lay money out on unless you are sure you are gonna have plenty of sales.

There are other companys who seem to be offering solutions but they are taking a wad in commission,just not sure which way I should go here I need some input,anyone help??
okeddy

I use Paypal on my site.
There is no sign up fee or anything.
It costs you 4.5% on each transaction. Competetive to CC rates.
If you want to have a "verified" account, you will need to set up your bank account number with them, they deposit 2 deposits of about 12 cents and 14 cents or some other small amount and you enter what they deposited and you are "verified". What that means, I don't know, but I guess it makes the customers feel better. LOL

Thanks Dirtrocker & fxcolin, I may just do that I've already used paypal once before but never thought it was so popular for buying, but ebay must do a power of sales with it so if it works for them why not->okeddy

You can also use CCNow.com. It's a bit pricey per transaction. I think they take 9% + $10 a month but you don't need to get a merchant account and there is no up front costs. Hope this helps.

Excellent idea for using Paypal. However, I was wondering. This more or less "forces" the customer to become a Paypal member. Would this tend to discourage potential customers? Bob

Everyone I know has a Paypal account but I think in the long run it would discourage quite a few people. I guess you need to consider who your target market is. If you think most of your customers would also be Ebay shoppers then it most likely wouldn't be an issue. Paypal has gotten quite popular over the past couple years & they do have a very easy to use shopping cart with the exception of the sign up part of it.

Hope this helps
Cheers

I would spend the extra $$$ on a merchant acct. and possibly go with the paypal also. The best of both worlds[bigsmile] Yes,costly now,but I guess that is where you step out of the box and ask yourself if it will pay off in the long run...if yes,then there you have it.That way your target is not limited,nor detours your vistitors!Good luck!

oh!The many prices we have to pay!!;-)

Use its much better than paypal Regards

Big Bad Dave

logo.gif

davidbyng@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back