Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with DNS through NATand VPN with different domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcasaol

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a DNS server set up for my company. We work directly with another company with a direct connection to them through a router that does NAT we sit on a 192.168.0.x and they have their own range of IP addresses. Right now all we do is modify the host files on each computer with the names and IP addresses we need for resources on their network, but it's very annoying when there is a change and we have to get IP information from someone there to update the hosts file. I want to know what I need to do to set up my DNS server to sync up with theirs. Do I need them to grant some kind of permissions to our server to grab that information?

Curious... I'm thinking both companies have their own internet, and you are connected via a VPN. Is that right?
You need access to their network but do they need access to yours?

It sounds like you need to set up WINS on their server in order to get access to the actual network resources. Or set it up on both servers to make life easier.

Theres a nice little writeup here:

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

We access the internet through our own connection, and we have a VPN through a different T1 connection to their network. We need access to their network, but they do not need to access ours. Both companies are in a Windows 2000 environment, and I have all Windows 2000 computers, can't I do it all through DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back