Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with displaying multiple totals or counts on same report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishKiller

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
Help with displaying multiple totals on same report

Software Version = Crystal Reports Professional 9
Database connector = ODBC
Database type = SQL2000
Database Field = SQL View called “VR_COUNT”

I have created a SQL View to help simplify the task/goal outlined below. Inside the view are the following fields:

“EXAM_COUNT” type = NUMBER – “Total number of exams performed based on the true conditions being meet on the remaining fields listed below”
“LOC_NAME” type = String – “Currently returns only one location name”
“EXAM_ABBREV” type=String – “Returns exam number that was completed”
“RES_NM” type=String – “Returns resource utilized for EXAM_ABBREV”
“Exam_Month” type=NUMBER – “month number 1-12”
“Exam_Day” type=NUMBER – “day number 1-31”
“Exam_Year” type=NUMBER – “Year number 2000-2005”

GOAL: Automate current Volume Report which is manual and in Excel using a Crystal Report and move away from Excel. This report cannot be a crosstab due to it’s limitation of being dynamic (if I am wrong please correct) and needs to maintain the same format as I attempted to illustrate below.

A B C D E F G
1 DAY Location Title (LOC_NAME)
2 TOTAL (RES_NM=MRI) (RES_NM=CT)
3 1 11 6 5
4 2 210 110 100
5 3 50 1 49
… …
31 31 172 72 100

Column Definitions

B = Day number static 1 thru 31
C = Day total from all (RES_NM) that match (Exam_YEAR, Exam_Month, Exam_Day)
F = (RES_NM) Resource Group that contains defined (EXAM_ABBREV) VALUES SUCH AS: [“70540S”,”70336”,”70549”]

Formula that I tried is as follows:
If {VR_COUNT.EXAM_YEAR}=2005 and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_MONTH}=9 and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_DAY}=1 and (VR_COUNT.RES_NM} = “MR2” and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_ABBREV} in [“70540S”,”70336”,”70549”]
Then {VR_COUNT.EXAM_COUNT}

* If I try to leave the EXAM_ABBREV to a single selection the result is blank probably due to my lack of programming skills

I am also wondering if I need to create 31 different formula’s for each resource representing each day. In our case we have over 30 resources OUCH.

Any additional information needed please post and I will gladly post. Any ideas or help will gladly be accepted and appreciated.

If you're constructing maunual fields to be used for aggregates, remember to put in an ELSE clause of:

ELSE

That way you won't get blanks.

I think that you do want a manual crosstab, however grouping by the date field will eliminate the need to specify the If {VR_COUNT.EXAM_YEAR}=2005 and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_MONTH}=9 and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_DAY}=1 portion, as the date will already be grouped, just create the formulas required, place it in the details, right click it and select insert->summary->sum, and have it do so by the date grouping, and then suppress the details.

It's unclear whether some criteria is date specific, but the formulas should look something like:

(VR_COUNT.RES_NM} = “MR2” and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_ABBREV} in [“70540S”,”70336”,”70549”] Then
{VR_COUNT.EXAM_COUNT}
else

-k

Thank you for the quick reply. If I am tracking you correctly, I can make a manual cross tab report. I am not even sure how to accomplish this. Do you have any pointers how this can be done and how to have "static" field entries?

Group by the date.

Create the appropriate formulas, such as:

(VR_COUNT.RES_NM} = “MR2” and {VR_COUNT.EXAM_ABBREV} in [“70540S”,”70336”,”70549”] Then
{VR_COUNT.EXAM_COUNT}
else

Place them in the details and use the summary method as defined above, and suppressing the details.

I don't know what you mean as a staic field entry. Crystal doesn't allow for entering values into databases, adn if you mean a static text, use a text object. If you mean conditional values for each formula, the above is an example of that.

-k

Before trying a manual crosstab, I would see if an inserted crosstab might work. It looks to me like you could insert a crosstab with the following rows, in this order:

Exam_Year
Exam_Month
Exam_Day

For the column, you would use RES_NM, and for the summary, sum of Exam_Count.

You should have a group on location and then place this crosstab in the location group header or footer. I'm not sure how Exam_Abbrev fits in. If you only want a subset of of options from this field, you could use a formula that groups the options and then use this as a second column field. The formula could look something like:

if {VR_COUNT.EXAM_ABBREV} in [“70540S”,”70336”,”70549”] then 1 else
if {VR_COUNT.EXAM_ABBREV} in [“Other value1”,”Othervalue2”] then 2 else 3

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back