Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with crossplatform issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssanai80

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
My site looks different when viewed with explorer on pc's and apple computers. What are the steps i should take to make sure my site is crossplatform compatible? What are crossplatform issues with html? I'm mostly having trouble with spacing of the texts and tables. thank you for your help

hey, i've got problems with macs too, but it is about layers positioning..
& i've noticed that overflow:hidden doesnt work there in ie4.x..
anyone? i'm all my ears..

how are you spacing the text/tables? what fonts are you specifying for the text (for example, macs and pcs don't always share the same fonts)? what browsers are we discussing. A big part of the issue (not to lock myself into one opinion ;) is if you are using IE on the pc and Netscape on the Mac.

There is an IE port for the mac, but if cross browser compatibility is a serious issue, install as many of the target broswers on your machine as possible.

From that point you can natively troubleshoot your own code. This will really help determine, for example, if it truly is a mac to pc issue (looks fine in IE on a pc but bad on IE for a mac).

You have a link that we can take a look at? "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Hopper

I know this will probably just confuse the issue but its worth mentioning. Ive found one problem with positioning layers/div for IE on the mac...

any links inside a layer/div which rests on top of another layer will only work if the layer/div has a specified z:index and all other layers do to. of course the layer with the link must be specified as the top layer for it to work. Very annoying when building an absolutely positioned page with lots of layers....

Well, i'm using IE on both pc and mac. I coded the site on pc. and when i looked at it on mac's, it looked not what i intended on pc. there could be a crossbrowser problem as well, but since i'm using IE on both of the platforms, crossplatform issue is what i'm concerned with. the url for the website i'm working on is...
the page that i'm having crossplatform trouble is...
I don't know if you have both pc and mac available to you, but you'll notice that the page looks very different on the two platforms. thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back