Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with count( ) with a query containing math 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clone45

Programmer
Mar 28, 2006
US
Hello! I'm having some trouble getting my syntax right. Here's my original query:

SELECT name, longitude, latitude, address, id, created, image,(((acos(sin(($latitude*pi()/180)) * sin((latitude*pi()/180)) + cos(($latitude*pi()/180)) * cos((latitude*pi()/180)) * cos((($longitude - longitude)*pi()/180))))*180/pi())*60*1.1515) as distance FROM items $search_sql HAVING distance <= $distance $sortOrder LIMIT 5

This works great, but I now need to count the total number of rows withouth the LIMIT for pagination purposes. In other words, something like this:

SELECT count(*) as item_count,(((acos(sin(($latitude*pi()/180)) * sin((latitude*pi()/180)) + cos(($latitude*pi()/180)) * cos((latitude*pi()/180)) * cos((($longitude - longitude)*pi()/180))))*180/pi())*60*1.1515) as distance FROM items $search_sql HAVING distance <= $distance $sortOrder

Unfortunately, this doesn't work because I'm not using "group by" with my count(*). Can someone help me figure this out? Thanks!

- Bret

Fantastic! I never knew that existed!

Sorry to dig up an old thread here but I was wondering if I could use that found_rows and return data based on that.
Here is what the manual says:
"it is desirable to know how many rows the statement would have returned without the LIMIT, but without running the statement again. "

So how do I return the rows without running the statement again? And if there are too many rows return something else?

(note that the next statement has errors since I don't know how to use the if statement in mysql
)

SELECT distinct SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS latitude, longitude, count(latitude) as 'cnt'
from users
group by latitude, longitude;
SET @rows = FOUND_ROWS();
IF @rows < 10 THEN
-- return the previously select statement
-- according to the manual we do NOT need to re-execute it
ELSE
-- select @rows as 'numrows'
end if

Greetings, Harm Meijer

it appears you're not using LIMIT

FOUND_ROWS is for those situations where you're using LIMIT and want to display something like

rows 1 to 10 of 2300

r937.com | rudy.ca

As far as I can tell, FOUND_ROWS will work for any select statement, with or without a LIMIT.

You could store the query result in a temporary table:
[tt] CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE t AS SELECT ...[/tt]
then return that entire table if required. It would probably be a lot faster than running the query again. On the other hand, re-running the original query might not take as long as the first time, as the query and its results would probably have been cached by the MySQL server.

Thank you for your replies, I'll just have php get a count first and depending on the result select grouped set or not.
This is because I can't even get a simple if statement to run in mysql nor setting a variable.

The following only creates errors in mysql:
set @row = select count(distinct concat(latitude, ' - ', longitude)) as 'num' from users;
if @row > 13 then
-- select grouped set
else
-- select non grouped set
end if

or the one using FOUND_ROWS()

SELECT distinct SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS latitude, longitude, count(latitude) as 'cnt'
from users
group by latitude, longitude;
SET @rows = FOUND_ROWS();
IF @rows < 10 THEN
-- return the previous select statement
ELSE
-- group them all and count
end if

Greetings, Harm Meijer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search