Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with copyfromrecordset please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightyginger

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
I have some code (using ADO) which queries a database and then dumps the results to a range. Fair enough, usual story. Is there an easy way instead to declare an variant and set the result from the database to that variant.

Existing code
Set sqlRs = New ADODB.Recordset
sqlCmd.CommandText = &quot;SELECT bf.ISIN,ts.Value FROM TSeriesLookup tsl,TSeries ts,BondDefs bf WHERE ts.Id=tsl.Id AND tsl.NWCode=bf.BondCode AND ts.TradeDate='&quot; & strMonth & &quot;' AND (tsl.NWCode LIKE 'G_D_EUR%' OR tsl.NWCode LIKE 'G_D_GRD%') AND tsl.ValueType='MTedSpread' AND bf.ISIN <> '' ORDER BY bf.ISIN&quot;
Set sqlRs = sqlCmd.Execute
Sheets(&quot;Output_Data&quot;).Cells(6, 2).CopyFromRecordset sqlRs

Could I have something like this e.g.
dim output_data_array() as variant
output_data_array.CopyFromRecordset sqlRs

this doesn't work though. Any idea guys?

Thanks for your help once again by the way!

Neil.

Hi Neil

CopyFromRecordset is a method of the range object. It's not made for reading records into an array. But you can use 'GetRows' instead:
Dim output_data_array As Variant
output_data_array = sqlRs.GetRows(sqlRs.RecordCount)

With this, you'll get a two dimensional array.

HTH
Philipp

Thanks very much Philipp. I have one more question if I may,

this then returns an array to a variant object, say (3,256), where I have Name, Price, Last, Vol and 256 entries for each. I would normally use UBound on an array to get the max num of records but because it's variant UBound(output_data_array,0) doesn't return 256. Is there a command I can use to get the max no of records returned please?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Hi Neil

You can still use UBound. The number of records is stored in the second dimension, so you have to write
UBound(output_data_array, 2)

When you've got 256 records, 'UBound(output_data_array, 2)' returns 255 because the array is zero-based (by default). Add the statement
Option Base 1
to your code to use one-based arrays.

HTH
Philipp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back