Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help With Configuing Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello there

This is what I am trying to accomplish:

I would like to run a ftp server using the MSN Instant Messeger 4.5 and Messenger File Share 1.0.70 (which is used as an add on for MSN IM).

I have a small network setup running ME on both computers with AT&T Broadband Cable running thru my Netgear RT314 router (using NAT). I have no problems with the network at all.

The server works half way - I can browse any of my contacts files which they are sharing, and I can download any of them - easy becuase none of them are behind a firewall or not using a router. But they can't browse my shared files becuase they can't get thru my router. I had them ping my LAN ip 192.168.0.3 and my Wan ip 12.251.70.9 with no luck.

AT&T is now using dynamic ip's. I set my router to foward port 21 (following Netgears inst)

How do I configure my router to allow FTP acess or to add a port that will let them thru or is it a special way to type the URL to get thru. I've tried everthing I know.

Thanks for any help
vernon933

If you know your public IP (you should be able to get this information from your routers setup page - I think it is 192.168.0.1 for netgear - 192.168.1.1 for linksys). There should be a tab or page in there with your public IP (the IP that you are getting from AT&T). Make sure you forward port 21 to 192.168.0.3 (or whatever your internal IP is on the network). Now when your friend tries to get on your ftp server he should type:

ftp://12.251.70.9

that is:

ftp://yourPublicIPAddress

I know what my IPs are and that I need to foward port 21.
The help I need is how to do it on the router. I use Telnet to access my routers manager.

Menu 21.3.2 - TCP/IP Filter Rule

Filter #: 3,2
Filter Type= TCP/IP Filter Rule
Active= Yes
IP Protocol= 6 IP Source Route= No
Destination: IP Addr= 0.0.0.0
IP Mask= 0.0.0.0
Port #= 21
Port # Comp= Equal
Source: IP Addr= 0.0.0.0
IP Mask= 0.0.0.0
Port #=
Port # Comp= None
TCP Estab= No
More= No Log= None
Action Matched= Forward
Action Not Matched= Check Next Rule

Press ENTER to Confirm or ESC to Cancel:

Netgaers instructions say to change Action Matched=Foward, which I did, and this should work. But it does'nt.

Messing with the filter rules is over my head and there must be more configuring to do to make this work.

Thanks again for any help

I would think you would have to change the source IP and the destination IP.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to use IE or Netscape to configure your router?

It sounds like you are trying to configure a filter. This is not where you want to be. The filter can allow/disallow the port/protocol, but I would guess that everything is allowed anyway by default without any filters, so I would not mess with the filters at all.

What you want to look for are NAT settings. Specifically look for Port Forwarding (may be called port mapping or static mappings). Here is where you would specify for TCP port 21 forward to your host 192.168.x.x IP address.

Hope this helps.

Hey vernon, I am trying to do the same thing, but I am running into the same problems. It seems regardless of what I do with the filter, it never makes it through from the WAN side of the router. Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have the same problem. I've upgraded the rom to 3.25, tried everything I could think of. Help...need step by step instructions please

Are you static or dynamic IP's on the LAN side of the router? You need to be static for port forwarding to work properly.

OK, if you have any 'filters' created dealing with port 21, remove them. Filters block traffic. Once that's done, go to option 15 in the setup, labled 'SUA Server Setup'. Configure for port 21 to forward to the internal(static) IP address of the machine that is the FTP server. Hit 'enter' and give 'er a try. My ICQ is 38964088 if you need someone to attempt a login. Message me.

Here is a Link to the Setup of your Netgear Router.

You guys seem to be using a Telnet connection when you do not need to be. Don't you like GUI's?
Go to your broswer and type the address :

Page TWO of that link explains (Infromation below comes from that Webpage practicallynetworked.com) :

Filtering is very flexible, but the hardest to use feature of the RT314, and the 3.20 firmware hasn't improved this. Filters allow you to block or pass data that matches specific criteria from entering or leaving your LAN. Netgear has provided powerful filtering capability, but unfortunately, you need to configure it at a level that requires more understanding of networking protocols than most users will have. The RT314 comes by default with filters enabled that block Telnet, FTP, and HTTP from the WAN side and keep Net BIOS (MS File and Print sharing) traffic from being accessed from the WAN.

Update 6/11/01 V3.25 firmware removes these filters.

- END OF practicallynetworked.com Information --

I hope this helps. I see you've already begun part of the Instruction by upgrading your ROM but maye this link has more info you can use.

- NOnoy

change the IP adress also at MENU 15
like this :

Port IP-address
---- -----------
21 192.168.0.2

if your computer has the ip 192.168.0.2

PortFor,

You have set everything up correctly, try getting to your web site from OUTSIDE your local network (from a machine at work or something). The netgear routers don't have what's know as "loopback" which lets it forward local traffic to various ports. If you want to see the website from the LAN side of the router, you will have to use the IP address (or hostname if you have set it up). Mine is exactly the same, I can get to my website from the outside world by typing in my dyndns domain name, but if I try it from within my network it will give me the router.

I have a netgear router and i need to set it up for mirc script but when some one trys to access my file server. It disconects me from the site i have all the port numbers setup what else can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back