Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with Clipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmoulton

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
CA
Hi - I am new to Clipper & trying to compile into an .exe file
- it a old program from 1995 I need to make changes to
- Clipper will compile & the documentation says to use Blinker next - possibly using a .LNK file
- does not work & I am not sure what to do next
- any suggestions

thanks

Doug

H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5>clipper datawork /n /w /b
Clipper (R) 5.2c
Copyright (c) 1985-1993, Computer Associates International, Inc.
Microsoft C Floating Point Support Routines
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1984-1987. All Rights Reserved.
295K available
Compiling DATAWORK.PRG
Code size 22755, Symbols 5008, Constants 11629

H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5>blinker file datawork /b
__ __
(«») («») BLINKER Dynamic Overlay / Windows Linker 3.01
? + DOS Extender
___ Blink and you'll miss it !!

Copyright (c) Assembler Software Manufacturers, Inc. 1990-94
All Rights Reserved. Serial # BR-046291. Fax (804) 747-4200.

BLINKER : overlay opsize set to 40kb - minimum is 27kb ($$$SWPKRN)

BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWCLOSECOM' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWOPENCOM' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWSETUART' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'ERRORSAVER' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWTXSTRING' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWWAIT' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWFLUSHRX' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWRXEMPTY' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'SWRXCHAR' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'CONNS' : unresolved external
BLINKER : 1115 : DATAWORK.OBJ(DATAWORK) : 'N_SERVER' : unresolved external

BLINKER : 0 Warning error(s), 11 Fatal error(s)

DATAWORK.EXE (not created) (0.5 seconds)

Hi

I think you may be missing a library or two... that's what the unresolved external references usually mean. I'm guessing that there is supposed to be either a third party library linked in or there is an additional .obj file you need - can you see a .lnk file?

If so, can you post the contents?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Griff - I run this bat file first - which seems to have everything I need
- the compile does not create a .LNK file
- also - is there supposed to be a .OBJ file for each of the external references

Doug

@ECHO
SET INCLUDE=H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5\INCLUDE;
SET LIB=H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5\LIB;
SET OBJ=H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5\OBJ;
SET PLL=H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5\PLL;
SET CLIPPERCMD=/n /w /a /p /b
@ECHO Setting Path
PATH=H:\DATA\PLANT2\CLIPPER5\BIN;%path%;
SET DIRCMD=
DOSKEY /INSERT

the compile does not create a .LNK file " It will not.

He's asking you to look in the folder where datawork.prg is for any .lnk files. If there is one post its contents.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

One of the problems with the old .lnk files, is that Windows calls them Shortcut when viewed from Windows Exploder. You'd have to be using a DOS prompt to actually recognize the true beauty of a .lnk file... ;-)
Not much Windows Editors allow you to open one of these files as an ascii file, as we where used to, way back then. Best would be to rename to .lin or .blk, and feed the files to the linker with the extension added, they usually obey your commands then, and the file is easily editable.

Ofcourse there are some missing libraries, as pointed out before.
N_SERVER I could trace back to NETLIB.LIB, by Communication Horizons, and the Norton Guide that comes with my copy is dated around 1991. To all the rest I couldn't find any reference in my collection of Guides. Guessing by the names it must be some kind of communications lib, but the names so totally not showing up at google, makes me think it could be an in-house developed (wrapper)lib around another more commonly used lib, or it can even be totally self-developed. No more clues here, sorry.

HTH
TonHu

TonHu and Lyndon are both correct.

I can't find any reference on 'net to the functions that are unresolved... I would guess they are a communications library as TonHu thinks.

I was going to ask if there were any files of type blah blah, but then thought - can you post a directory listing for the folder in question? so we can all chip in with comments on anything we recognise?

Alternatively, if you want to go offline - find me via my web site at finedata dot com - I'll happily help if I can.

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi - the following is datawork.lnk I finally found - sorry for the delay

Doug

#THIS PROGRAM CAN NOT BE ANYTHING BUT REAL MODE
BLINKER EXECUTABLE real
BLINKER INCREMENTAL OFF

OUTPUT DATAWORK

FILE DATAWORK
FILE SHAR_ERR

Lib SLVRCLIP.LIB
Lib novlib

# 09/03/98 RS - Due to numerous "Processor stack fault" crashes, I've
# increased the stack space the program uses from the default of 5120 B
# to 16 kB (16384 B)

STACK 16384

Hi

The keys are here:
Code:
FILE SHAR_ERR

Lib SLVRCLIP.LIB
Lib novlib

You only seem to be compiling DATAWORK.prg to make DATAWORL.obj, but you need to locate SHAR_ERR.obj as well (it should probably be in the same folder).

Also you need to locate two commercial library files - I think the first was called SILVER or some such, the file name is just SLVRCLIP.LIB and the other is probably a Novell Netware support program (again I think) called novlib.lib.

With these you can link the object files and libraries to make your executable using a command like this:

Code:
blinker @datawork.lnk

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

super - thanks to everyone who helped
bye for now
Doug

Happy to help, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hello again everyone - thanks again for the help with Clipper

I have a new question - one of my old clipper programs uses an old .RP1 file (report file). I need to make a change to it - I can use R&R to see and to change it - but I can not save it correctly - I get a message - R&R no longer supports rewriting a report into a library file

Is the a old & free program out there that can make a minor change to a RP1 file

thanks again

Doug

I have some old versions of R&R, What version are you using?

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

I guess what I am looking for R&R Report Writer 6.5 for Windows - does anyone know where I can download this for a test

thanks

Doug

I've been on the road. I can check my versions tomorrow.

Lyndon

Sorry, my version of R&R is for DOS. Pre windows; I wonder if the 5 /12' diskettes even work...

Lyndon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back